Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a touring game

Options
  • 04-04-2013 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Dear All,

I represent the University of St Andrews Rugby club, and we are looking for a quick tour to Dublin this year. We are looking for a game in Dublin and I am wondering if this forum can help me out in finding a team willing to play us.

Details on the team; mixed level (1s, 2s and 3s) with an average age of 21.

Our tour dates are flexible at this stage, but roughly in the period of 1st-10th of June. You can contact me on here, or private message if you require more information or can help us.

For the record we have avoided tour companies as my family live in Dublin so I know whats what without having to pay more than we need to (also we are students).

Thanks for reading, and thank you again if you can help me out.

Kind regards,

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Just to make it clear; are you fielding an adults team or youths teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 University of St Andrews

Losty Dublin,

Everybody is 18 and over, so Adults strictly speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I have no helpful advice for you (someone will) but one of my mates plays with you, big Irish stocky backrow - come - slightly immobile centre Mick (you probably call him Michael)

He lived in Dublin for 18 years and played with a few clubs out this end I dunno if you have asked him yet, but it's probably worth dropping him a text.

Errlloyd,

I know him very well, I actually tried to get him involved with the planning process but I think he distanced himself a little from it due to time commitments- I know he would be one of the first on the plane and is keen for tour. That said I can ask him again if he knows people in clubs personally.

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

You might find it difficult at that time of year as most of the clubs have wound up their seasons around the end of May or are getting ready for cup fixtures.

Try any of the larger clubs,

Clontarf
    Old Belvedere
    St. Mary's College

They might field a team against you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

I could probably get you a number for a game but it would be outside dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Actually I do have some mildly useful advice. I know you're purposely avoiding travel companies, but you could do worse than having a look at Marathon Travel (I hope I am not breaking any mod rules here).

They specify in sports tours, now they're Irish based, but my old club and lots of others use them as tour organisers, so they'd have a bunch of contacts with Irish clubs.

And they'll probably give you a pretty good deal on transport over, most of their market (outside of sports) is Uni class trips, so they are very cost sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

If worst comes to worst you could just bang a mail to all the clubs and see if anyone responds

list of clubs can be found in the Leinster handbook (list of clubs from page 78 on) just look for the dublin ones and send off a mail.

Obviously as season is coming to an end very soon you'd be well advised to start ASAP

Thanks for the replies, all good suggestions and fresh ideas.

Opinionatedfan, where would that be based?

Yes the trouble is the timing, sadly Easter break wasn't an option for us, and exams don't finish up until the end of May, which results in June as the only possible time to go.

I would be happy with even 10 a side, or 7 s but I cant really find much information on the web to any events.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Thanks for the replies, all good suggestions and fresh ideas.

Opinionatedfan, where would that be based?

Yes the trouble is the timing, sadly Easter break wasn't an option for us, and exams don't finish up until the end of May, which results in June as the only possible time to go.

I would be happy with even 10 a side, or 7 s but I cant really find much information on the web to any events.

Best bet would be just contact the clubs directly. Only they know what kind of standard they have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement