Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop display on a monitor

Options
  • 04-04-2013 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I have a laptop (Compaq Pesario) with a cracked screen and a broken keyboard. The motherboard and everything else works. I don't really want to spend money on repairing it as I just want to use it as a media player. I have connected it to a monitor and a usb keyboard but I can't get it to push the image out to the monitor because the keyboard is wrecked and I can't use the FN+F4 keys.
    Is there another way of doing this without repairing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Add a keyboard? I use a wireless keyboard and mouse and a monitor with my laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Add a keyboard? I use a wireless keyboard and mouse and a monitor with my laptop.

OP has a USB keyboard connected

Have you tried going into the display options via Control Panel? There may be an option to select the display to output to an external monitor.

EDIT: I'm presuming that the cracked screen isn't so badly damaged that you can't see what's on it

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭karlkavo

I can only see about 30% of the top of the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

karlkavo wrote: »
    I can only see about 30% of the top of the screen.

It's worth right clicking on the desktop on a part that you can see and go into graphics properties from the menu. You may be able to see enough of the dialog box to look for output options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

On some HP/Compaq laptops, the Fn key can be emulated via CLT + ALT on an external keyboard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Without the fn key you'll probably be stuck, if you have Windows 7 installed on the external keyboard press Windows Key and P similitaniously, and use the arrow keys (left and right) to see if it changes source, don't think XP has such a feature

Nick

Advertisement