Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I take a later train even if my ticket is for the earlier one?

Options
  • 04-04-2013 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

I am booking train tickets online for a journey I might have to make in a few weeks time. I just need to check that if I book a ticket for 17.30 train and miss it -can i use the ticket for 18.15 train. I know its the ticket for the wrong train, but I just want to check how strict they are.

I could book the 18.15 train online and use the earlier train at 17.30 instead - could i do this.

I dont know for sure until the actual day which train I can make in time, but still I want to be home as quick as possible.
    How strict are they on checking the tickets at heuston??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

kala85 wrote: »
    I am booking train tickets online for a journey I might have to make in a few weeks time. I just need to check that if I book a ticket for 17.30 train and miss it -can i use the ticket for 18.15 train. I know its the ticket for the wrong train, but I just want to check how strict they are.

I could book the 18.15 train online and use the earlier train at 17.30 instead - could i do this.

I dont know for sure until the actual day which train I can make in time, but still I want to be home as quick as possible.
    How strict are they on checking the tickets at heuston??

If I were you I'd book the later train and be sensible. If you get away early then you have a seat ready come what may. Get there earlier, ask at the booking office and the staff on hand may be in a position to allow you to travel early, subject to there being space on the day. Get there with the ticket for the earlier train asking to travel later on and if you are refused, what do you do then? ;)

Your ticket issued is a normal ticket that you pass through the automatic barriers. It may not be checked by staff until you either ask a staff member overseeing the barriers or when you are on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭kala85

Thats what I was thinking as well. Will the screening barrier stop me getting through the gate if the time has expired - i.e. for the later train.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,976 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

kala85 wrote: »
    Thats what I was thinking as well. Will the screening barrier stop me getting through the gate if the time has expired - i.e. for the later train.

It won't stop you but if you have the incorrect ticket on board then you may run into problems if it's inspected. Best be safe if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

If you travel on a different train to the one you have booked online then there is a €10 surcharge (excess ticket) to be paid. This can be paid for at Heuston Booking Office before boarding the train. If you do not pay the excess you will be liable for a penalty fare.

Of course pay on the day walk up to the booking office and buy a ticket offers you total flexibility in what trains you travel on...but it will be more expensive than booking on line.

The Wanderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

If you travel on a different train to the one you have booked online then there is a €10 surcharge (excess ticket) to be paid. This can be paid for at Heuston Booking Office before boarding the train. If you do not pay the excess you will be liable for a penalty fare.

Of course pay on the day walk up to the booking office and buy a ticket offers you total flexibility in what trains you travel on...but it will be more expensive than booking on line.

The Wanderer.

Most staff at the ticket office will stamp it without charging. It helps if they are having a good day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Anytime people I know who have changed their trains have been charged the €10 so to say "Most staff at the ticket office will stamp it without charging" is rather misleading.

Where is the OP travelling to? Somewhere between Portarlington - Athlone judging by choice of trains. A walk up ticket may be better value!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Anytime people I know who have changed their trains have been charged the €10 so to say "Most staff at the ticket office will stamp it without charging" is rather misleading.

Where is the OP travelling to? Somewhere between Portarlington - Athlone judging by choice of trains. A walk up ticket may be better value!

I have yet to be charged to change a train and the most recent was in Heuston this morning.

All I am saying is book the lather train and then if there for half 5 service go and ask if it can be changed free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

The_Wanderer, will you post in the conflicts of interest thread please? I thought you were an IE manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

you will be charged the 10 euro for changing the times.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The_Wanderer, will you post in the conflicts of interest thread please? I thought you were an IE manager?

There's no conflict of interest thread anymore, but I'm still warning you for back seat modding.

Do not reply to this post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭con___manx1

you wil be fine the ticket man would let u off dont worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

OP Go to the ticket desk in Heuston and ask for it to be changed. They ought to charge you €10 but may not. Either way do NOT get on a different train without getting the ticket changed as you risk paying a far higher penalty fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have been charged for changing an on-line booked ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Just buy a walk up ticket on the day. You pay extra for having that flexibility. Thats what I do if I'm unsure of which train I am going to make.

Or else if you really dont want to do that buy a ticket for the later train and if you have time go for a coffee or beer in Nancy Hands or Ryans on Parkgate street which are nice places to kill 45 minutes while waiting for your train.

Or if its a nice evening a walk in the Phoenix Park is always nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

you wil be fine the ticket man would let u off dont worry.
    Dubious advice that might get someone in trouble is not welcome. On-topic, constructive posts only please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Hi guys
    I have already booked a ticket for the 8am train to Limerick on Tuesday morning but something has come up and I won't be leaving until the evening - 5pm. When I get to the station at 5pm will I be able to pay the €10 surcharge and get my ticket from earlier that morning endorsed, or does it only work the other way around - i.e. for an earlier rather than a later train?

Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Ring 1850366222 on monday before you print off your ticket. They might be able to give you a different reference number for the later one on Tuesday.

Advertisement