Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What has happened our streets?

Options
  • 04-04-2013 1:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭

Mods, this may have been posted here recently but I can't find it...

Recently a friend of mine was beaten up in the laneway that runs alongside the george by 4 guys.

Now my friend, whom I'll refer to as J, is not from Ireland and is not a homosexual but apparently he was beaten because he dared to walk an alley where only homosexuals and those that would beat up homosexuals hang out.

I'm a straight Dub, my friend is a Scot/Italian but I will tell you one thing there is is nothing as camp as the "Dub" - "Or what" accent.

Think about it. The "Skobe" dublin accent is so camp. I know a PO, a screw, and he tells me that for gay inner-city men prison is like a free gay cruise. They want to do time and will hurt other people to do that time.

Why would four "Straight" people hang in a lanewayway to beat someone up?

Fairplay to that TD, who happened to be gay, that was arguing for equal marriage rights for all two nights ago on Primetime - let everyone do what the heart wants. Maybe there would be no repressed anger/rage then... Not the fists...not the fists...

anyway...j got bashed, i found out now tonight, and don't want anyone else to get beaten up...

RB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Scumbags have been around forever OP. This happens every night in Dublin, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Not sure if it's a thread about scumbags on the streets or equal marriage rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

cause and effect ...put really badly...

Just trying to figure out what the cause is if the effect is J getting hospitalised...

RB

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Few examples.
    I'm sure we're all familiar with this one, given the commentary from the 'aul wan on the other side of the road:

Here are a few slightly less well known examples:

Another one:

And a recent one:

Now if only our politicians, law enforcement and judges would divert their attention to scumbags like these, instead of people quietly having an open can in public, smoking weed, bars and nightclubs staying open slightly too late, more recently people posting offensive remarks on the internet, etc etc etc.

Priorities........ Gotta love 'em. :(

This is not conjecture (perhaps) but is there a possibility that there are certain (homosexually) repressed members of (disadvantaged) society that want to fight and touch and be fistfully intimate with strange men because society/church/state doesn't allow them another outlet for their feelings and desires....

if that makes sense..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Hate crime isn't something that's mentioned in Ireland. I have heard of non nationals of colour( Arabs and Latinos) getting beat but its never mentioned in the news. Likewise I have heard of non nationals refusing to live in certain white respectable upper middle areas as they won't be welcomed.

Intolerance is something that isn't discussed here as it doesn't effect a majority of people. A lot of Irish people are hateful but so are most nationalities

rockbeast wrote: »
    This is not conjecture (perhaps) but is there a possibility that there are certain (homosexually) repressed members of (disadvantaged) society that want to fight and touch and be fistfully intimate with strange men because society/church/state doesn't allow them another outlet for their feelings and desires....

if that makes sense..

There are better outlets out there ;)

hfallada wrote: »
    Hate crime isn't something that's mentioned in Ireland. I have heard of non nationals of colour( Arabs and Latinos) getting beat but its never mentioned in the news. Likewise I have heard of non nationals refusing to live in certain white respectable upper middle areas as they won't be welcomed.

Intolerance is something that isn't discussed here as it doesn't effect a majority of people. A lot of Irish people are hateful but so are most nationalities

Thanks for reply. What my point was, badly trying to be, is that is it a possibility that those four "men" that beat up my mate are indeed themselves repressed homosexuals?

So, considering that, if in lower-class suburbs it became acceptable to be gay then crime would fall...? IMO

RB

Just have to be careful after a night out, don't go anywhere alone. These scum just hang around waiting for an opportunity and there's a lot of them around.

A mate of mine was walking through town alone after a night out and a group of them pulled a knife on him and told him to give them his phone. He's the last person you'd think would get mugged, he's a big fella been doing self defence and those sort of classes for his whole life, but it just shows the lengths these low life's will go to just to get a mobile phone. He gave it to them and they let him go, the experience is scary for anyone.

There are better outlets out there ;)

Like J's face? No probs with anyone myself. Live and let live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I know a PO, a screw, and he tells me that for gay inner-city men prison is like a free gay cruise. They want to do time and will hurt other people to do that time.
    I don't believe this.

Edit: I only say that because if an anonymous, very discreet hook up is what you're after, it's very easy to get with all the apps that support it.

It would also take a very unsteady person to go that route and sounds like something that might've happened back in the 70's, but even then for it to be fairly unbelievable.

Just have to be careful after a night out, don't go anywhere alone. These scum just hang around waiting for an opportunity and there's a lot of them around.

A mate of mine was walking through town alone after a night out and a group of them pulled a knife on him and told him to give them his phone. He's the last person you'd think would get mugged, he's a big fella been doing self defence and those sort of classes for his whole life, but it just shows the lengths these low life's will go to just to get a mobile phone. He gave it to them and they let him go but the experience is scary for anyone.

Do you mind me asking where this happened?

I walk from nightclubs to the Nitelink at around 3:45 on most Friday and Saturday nights out if none of my mates is heading back in my direction in a cab. I've regularly walked from town to my gaff in Sandycove as well which is about a two hour walk, and I have literally never been attacked or even worried about being attacked. Maybe I'm just an incredibly lucky SOB, or maybe the routes I take are too densely populated (in town) and then too empty (between town and Sandycove) to run into any nasties?

Mind you I suppose, that journalist who was murdered on Camden Street was killed just a two minute walk from a nightclub I go to most Saturdays, and I'd been there that night and would have walked from there to the nitelink on D'Olier street maybe 20 minutes before the fight :/

Not sure why, but I just never actually see this stuff. I can honestly say I've very rarely seen a full on fight in town and when I have, the Gardai usually intervene within minutes. Maybe that's just because I stick to the busy main streets and don't go near dark alleys and what not?

Anyway J is okay save for his arm in a sling...he'll be alright.... thanks for the comments which were pretty good for AH.

Lets close/finish it up now (Mod?) cheers lads/ladies.

Night.

RB

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Why because u say so?
    That's not how AH works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Anyway J is okay save for his arm in a sling...he'll be alright.... thanks for the comments which were pretty good for AH.

Lets close/finish it up now (Mod?) cheers lads/ladies.

Night.

RB

The crazies come up in the morning after a good night sleep under the bridge.

I walk from nightclubs to the Nitelink at around 3:45 on most Friday and Saturday nights out if none of my mates is heading back in my direction in a cab. I've regularly walked from town to my gaff in Sandycove as well which is about a two hour walk, and I have literally never been attacked or even worried about being attacked. Maybe I'm just an incredibly lucky SOB, or maybe the routes I take are too densely populated (in town) and then too empty (between town and Sandycove) to run into any nasties?

Mind you I suppose, that journalist who was murdered on Camden Street was killed just a two minute walk from a nightclub I go to most Saturdays, and I'd been there that night and would have walked from there to the nitelink on D'Olier street maybe 20 minutes before the fight :/

Not sure why, but I just never actually see this stuff. I can honestly say I've very rarely seen a full on fight in town and when I have, the Gardai usually intervene within minutes. Maybe that's just because I stick to the busy main streets and don't go near dark alleys and what not?

Laneway by the george. He's Italian and was taking a shortcut. i never see fights also but he's best friends with my GF and we know him and his GF very well.

I know there are are street smarts in any city and J obviously forgot his lessons but 4 on 1..?

Must sleep. Night 3P.

RB

1ZRed wrote: »
    I don't believe this.

True. They have there bunks SET. AND the biggest delivery into the joy is (unused) ladies underwear...

Research it, quote me, and I will be happy to be told i'm wrong.

Night now but back on tomorrow and talk/explain more.

RB

True. They have there bunks SET. AND the biggest delivery into the joy is (unused) ladies underwear...

RB
    What does ladies underwear have to do with gay men?

I edited my post btw.

RB
    Sleep tight and dont let the bedbugs bite.

xoxoxoxo

I edited my post btw.

Just saw it...

Giver taker, i guess...bottom bun or top bunk...

RB

• Advertisement

I edited my post btw.

Straight men can wear them too. Sometimes a man just wants to feel sexy regardless of his weight or his sexuality.

lkionm wrote: »
    Straight men can wear them too. Sometimes a man just wants to feel sexy regardless of his weight or his sexuality.

Pics or GTFO

RB

I think somewhere near Temple Bar but he couldn't really remember. It's safer walking where there's more people around anyway but sometime the thugs don't really care who's around.

Pics or GTFO

RB

Society cant tell us men what we should look like. It is time we took back control of our bodies, we are beautiful to eachother and I do not need pictures to prove otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Town to Sandycove is simply not a two hour walk.

Just saw it...

Giver taker, i guess...bottom bun or top bunk...

RB

Too many prison movies you're watching I'd say

anyhoo, I'm now laughing at the last response which kind of defeats the purpose of me being angry. Thanks AH, you'll never let anyone feel happy or sad for too long...

Please close thread now, mods...

Rb

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Laneway by the george. He's Italian and was taking a shortcut.
    That lane is not a shortcut to anywhere at night. The only place it leads to is a Dublin Castle gate which is closed at night.

The George has good CCTV on the section of the lane near the pub, and there is also infra-red CCTV from the Castle end.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    That lane is not a shortcut to anywhere at might. The only place it leads to is a Dublin Castle gate which is closed at night.

The George has good CCTV on the section of the lane near the pub, and there is also infra-red CCTV from the Castle end.

As per first post, this situation/incident was already posted on boards, couldn't find it,perhaps 9/10 days ago, BUT I, although I'd read it previously on boards, didn't know it was about J until I found out tonight...

RB

Poor J thinks he just took part in a "Gathering" event

Advertisement