Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling Firewood

Options
  • 03-04-2013 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Just thinking of buying firewood in tonne bags maybe start out with two bags then bag them and sell them. Just wondering what people think this could make money ?
    Tagged:

Comments

I'd put that on the back burner until next October/November

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'll throw my 2 cents worth in here.

1, You really shouldn't be going into detail about your idea. It's a public forum and all that. The last thing you wanna do is give someone else the idea.

2, Just do the research man. How much you can get those 2 bags in bulk for. How much you could sell them individually for, how would you deliver them to people?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Conchy

I know but I want to buy it now and make sure it is seasoned properly, and I am asking can you make money from it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

You certainly can, as long as you buy cheap enough, sell dear enough and sell enough of them. You just need to do the research to put proper numbers on each aspect to get a profit figure, after deducting your costs..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

I'll throw my 2 cents worth in here.

1, You really shouldn't be going into detail about your idea. It's a public forum and all that. The last thing you wanna do is give someone else the idea. :)

2, Just do the research man. How much you can get those 2 bags in bulk for. How much you could sell them individually for, how would you deliver them to people?

FYP.

• Advertisement

has anyone had any experience though Im wondering whether to buy tonne bags and then bag them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Conchy wrote: »
    has anyone had any experience though Im wondering whether to buy tonne bags and then bag them ?

donedeal.ie

donedeal.ie

Thanks for your well thought and helpful answer

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

You need fo think bigger than 1 tonne bags if you expect to make a profit. The guy selling you this tonne will have a good profit all ready so its going to make your smaller bag expensive for your customer. You will not be the only person doing this. I know a few people travelling weekly 60 miles to sell in Dublin. They are buying timber direct from forestry owners and processing it themselves. They sell in trailer loads, half tonne bags or smaller bags. It does prove a demand though.

To be honest this is fairly easy to resaerch. There are plenty of bulk suppliers. I wouldn't dismiss done deal for that either. Check out the forestry forum on here.(under farming)

You mentioned seasoning the timber. Unless you are buying diect from a forest its most likely already seasoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

As already mentioned it's a bit late to be starting something like this. You should be well set up for next year though!! Plenty of money init if you can get rid of them and know where to purchase at a decent price :)

• Advertisement

As I said I want to get the wood early so it is seasoned but will probably wait till July.

lucky john wrote: »
    You need fo think bigger than 1 tonne bags if you expect to make a profit. The guy selling you this tonne will have a good profit all ready so its going to make your smaller bag expensive for your customer. You will not be the only person doing this. I know a few people travelling weekly 60 miles to sell in Dublin. They are buying timber direct from forestry owners and processing it themselves. They sell in trailer loads, half tonne bags or smaller bags. It does prove a demand though.

To be honest this is fairly easy to resaerch. There are plenty of bulk suppliers. I wouldn't dismiss done deal for that either. Check out the forestry forum on here.(under farming)

You mentioned seasoning the timber. Unless you are buying diect from a forest its most likely already seasoned.

Thanks the first person to actually give me advice appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

You'll get between €1.75 and €2.20 for a good sized net bag of logs, I pay 1.80 and I'm guessing there is roughly 7-9 logs in a bag

Loads of people have started doing this in the last 2 years, peoblem is that most of them dont realise how tough the work is and they fall be the wayside after a few months, most places will order 25-50 bags at a time max, mainly due to storage space. I order mine today and expect to have them delivered tomorrow, usually in units of 30 bags at a time. I pay you every 4 weeks or so. You will want to be doing kindling as well as I need that also, if your not doing both its not worth the hassle dealing with 2 different people.

hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

lucky john wrote: »

The bags are 1 tonne gravel bags so you won't be getting 1 tonne of timber.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

+1

and mostly unseasoned softwood, AKA sh!t.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭enricoh

my tuppence worth (used to do this) - if u've got a shed, get a big truck load delivered, store them n bag them, repeat with turf n kindling. i used to double up my money. buying a ton bag is pricey n sod all profit.
    if u've a shed go for it, but if yer in an estate u'll only have room for small loads which its harder to make much on

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tommy5678

buy a artic load for 1200 there about 2000 bags in it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

[QUOTE=billy2012;83999693]As already mentioned it's a bit late to be starting something like this. You should be well set up for next year though!! Plenty of money init if you can get rid of them and know where to purchase at a decent price :)[/QUOTE]

how is it a bit late? the winter hasent even started yet, coldest months are january till march!

what is scrap metal value a tone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

do coilte sell hardwood

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

tommy5678 wrote: »
    buy a artic load for 1200 there about 2000 bags in it
    For the ordinary Joe soap doing this also invest in a chainsaw an axe and be prepared to lose plenty sweat :) unless you have plenty space and money to invest in machinery to do the job without sweating :)

Advertisement