Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whale watching?

Options
  • 03-04-2013 8:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any recommendations for areas where whale-watching is good in Ireland? I have group coming over in early May and I'm trying to organise a trip one of the days. Anyone have any tips or recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I went whale watching from Union Hall in Cork once - the weather was appalling unfortunately, but we did see whales and the guy in charge was a top notch man, very informative and showed us a lot of marine wildlife besides the whales.

I think the skippers name was Nic Slocum - you can google to get more info.

There was a lovely b&b that we stayed in just minutes from the departure point, if you need more info come back to me and Ill go looking for the name of it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There is a company that do whale watching boat tours in cork, probably a bit of a lottery on whether you'd get to see any though, and I've never used them myself. Might be worth looking into though: http://www.whalewatchwestcork.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Aquaventures in Baltimore have had some great successes recently. Their boat was the one photographed in the newspapers a couple of months ago, with a humpback breaching right beside them.

+353 (28) 20 511

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There is a company that do whale watching boat tours in cork, probably a bit of a lottery on whether you'd get to see any though, and I've never used them myself. Might be worth looking into though: http://www.whalewatchwestcork.com/

That's the one we used. He used technology (underwater radar?, something blipping and showing large masses in the water) to find where the whales are so they know where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭skafish

It depends on what part of the country you are in (or plan to be in with your mates).
    The best whale watching trip I ever went on was in Carrigaholt, near Loop Head. We did a twilight cruise, booze and nibbles included. Fantastic purpose built boat called the Driocht (if memory serves) Skipper (Goeff?)an ex fisherman who really knew his stuff. And as an added bonus, he was playing music in the local pub with his band later.

http://www.dolphinwatch.ie/
    Check it out.

Best day out in years.

Sore head for 2 days afterwards, but you probably didn't want to know that:)......

• Advertisement
Advertisement