Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Creator News/Discussion/Controversy***

Options
  • 03-04-2013 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭

Latest attempt to get some more comic discussion going.:) This is more about the general things that creators say/do so people won't necessarily need to be familiar with the books to discuss them. I also miss getting behind the scenes news of creators coming onto or leaving books so if anyone has any info feel free to post it here.

I did intend on starting this thread a few weeks ago when the whole Orson Scott Card Superman controversy was going on but never got around to it. Then last week Grant Morrison's take on Robin (which is kind of strange considering he gave us Batman Inc) had me considering it again. But then this week ***kind of spoilers for Uncanny Avengers Issue 5*** Rick Remender's 'M word' controversy finally got me to post it.

Not sure what I think about it to be honest, I get the idea but lack of recognition is just as big a problem for minorities than them being singled out because they are different. I think what I have more of an issue with is 'the M word' and the obvious similarities with the 'N' word, I know the X-men's origins have mirrored the civil rights movement in America but I think this cuts a little too close to something which is controversial in the real world, and could lead to accusation of undermining the seriousness of the term, especially if the story goes down the route of only mutants using the M word which I can see happening.

Remender's reaction to criticism has also been childish.

remender-havok.png

If the guy is willing to take the praise for his work he should probably handle the criticism a bit better.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

To be fair, from following him on twitter, the comment was directed more so at the people who were trying to say that he's a racist

The main problem is that the original article came from Rich Johnston. That man is an illiterate haphazard who does nothing but stir up trouble for the sake of his website's own publicity

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The whole Rick Remender M word thing is a joke, I didn't know it originated on Bleeding Cool but that only shows further that it's total bollocks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Not sure what I think about it to be honest, I get the idea but lack of recognition is just as big a problem for minorities than them being singled out because they are different. I think what I have more of an issue with is 'the M word' and the obvious similarities with the 'N' word, I know the X-men's origins have mirrored the civil rights movement in America but I think this cuts a little too close to something which is controversial in the real world, and could lead to accusation of undermining the seriousness of the term, especially if the story goes down the route of only mutants using the M word which I can see happening.

Honestly I think this doesn't make a lot of sense (this post might not either.) Firstly the Havok thing didn't say 'don't acknowledge' that I'm a Mutant, rather it just didn't want to be labelled or pigeon-holed.

While Xavier and Magneto use the word Mutant as a term with positive connotations within the X-universe it's generally used as a slur by normal folk. Sometimes shortened down to 'mutie' or whatever. But again it really is about being labelled and treated different not about hiding what they are.

In real world terms, you meet someone who is black you don't just turn around and say 'Hey Black', sure it's not a derogatory term like the 'N' word, but it's an immediate barrier, it's still defining someone by a marker in their genes as opposed to who they are, what they're doing.

I'm certainly not accusing you of this Turtyturd, but I feel a huge amount of people read too much twitter and too many terribly written blogs before they actually read the panels and tried to understand what Havok/Remender's point was.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Thwip! wrote: »
    To be fair, from following him on twitter, the comment was directed more so at the people who were trying to say that he's a racist

Ah context makes a hell of a difference.:D
    mayordenis wrote: »
    Honestly I think this doesn't make a lot of sense (this post might not either.) Firstly the Havok thing didn't say 'don't acknowledge' that I'm a Mutant, rather it just didn't want to be labelled or pigeon-holed.

While Xavier and Magneto use the word Mutant as a term with positive connotations within the X-universe it's generally used as a slur by normal folk. Sometimes shortened down to 'mutie' or whatever. But again it really is about being labelled and treated different not about hiding what they are.

In real world terms, you meet someone who is black you don't just turn around and say 'Hey Black', sure it's not a derogatory term like the 'N' word, but it's an immediate barrier, it's still defining someone by a marker in their genes as opposed to who they are, what they're doing.

I'm certainly not accusing you of this Turtyturd, but I feel a huge amount of people read too much twitter and too many terribly written blogs before they actually read the panels and tried to understand what Havok/Remender's point was.

I actually have to hold my hands up and say I haven't gotten around to the issue yet. And I am not saying I agree with the criticisms of the storyline, I was just pointing out that there is a whole section of equality literature which dismisses the whole 'we are all human so we are all the same' approach and argues that you must acknowledge differences between race, gender, superpowers in order to promote equality. And in the panels shown Havok says 'We are all humans' and 'Please don't call us mutants' which I would see as him not wanting to be labelled as a mutant, and pretty contradictory of him considering two panels before he criticises Cyclops for making a choice for so many people.

shutupalex.jpg

Advertisement