Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why won't Amazon.com ship to Ireland?!?!

Options
  • 03-04-2013 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi guys, I've always had a problem getting items shipped from amazon.com getting a message that "the item can't be delivered to the selected destination.." when I'm just about to pay for it. This has never happened to me when using amazon.co.uk. Obviously there's times (as is the case now) where the item i want is only available via the US amazon, so it's very very annoying.. :mad: I think it has to do with 3rd parties selling products as opposed to the amazon store but I can't be sure. Anyway I came across a crowd called "Parcel Motel" who can apparently help with this kind of situation.

So, my questions are

Why the hell don't Amazon.com ship to Ireland?!?!?
    Is http://www.parcelmotel.com/ the best way to go?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

They ship to ireland, but not all items. Amazon.co.uk dont ship all items to ROI either, but you can use parcel motel as you say, its very popular for that reason, with the added bonus of cheaper shipping in a lot of cases.

the downside is that they wont except items that are owning customs duty which would likely happen if you order from the .com site, unless the item you are buying lets you pay for the duty via the site. You are paying it in advance so you would be ok.

If you post what you are looking for, you might get some help finding it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭street

Thanks Davy, god its a mess really isn't it. Why are simple ideas made so bloody complicated.. Anyway, here's what I'm looking for http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5400-7-1-Channel-Theater-System/dp/B004O0TREC Cheers : ]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's not only available via US amazon as you stated.

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's not only available via US amazon as you stated.

Very informative snubbleste, thanks for updating me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They can have supplier agreements, which big boys like amazon stick to. This is often due to different pricing in different regions, like ipods or levis jeans being cheaper in the US so apple do not want it sold here.

There can be legal issues, like I think there is an issue with pressure cookers be sold outside the US.

You might also need a transformer for that equipment as it is probably only for 110V.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    They can have supplier agreements, which big boys like amazon stick to. This is often due to different pricing in different regions, like ipods or levis jeans being cheaper in the US so apple do not want it sold here.

There can be legal issues, like I think there is an issue with pressure cookers be sold outside the US.

You might also need a transformer for that equipment as it is probably only for 110V.

Thanks for the heads up on the transformer rubadub, I'll look into it. : ]

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I see the unit here too
    http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS5400/Onkyo-HT-S5400-7.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Package-w/USB-ipod/iphone/1.html

with a note "*Sold exclusively within the US only. No shipments allowed outside the US!"

other items do not have this, so it might be requested by the company, like my apple ipod example.

Also the beast draws up to 1030W, which is crazy power, I saw a 60" LED screen that was 120W the other day. The max a socket here takes is just under 3000W. So the transformer will be expensive and probably huge. That coupled with the vat & duty might make it a bad choice.

rubadub wrote: »
    I see the unit here too
    http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS5400/Onkyo-HT-S5400-7.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Package-w/USB-ipod/iphone/1.html

with a note "*Sold exclusively within the US only. No shipments allowed outside the US!"

other items do not have this, so it might be requested by the company, like my apple ipod example.

Also the beast draws up to 1030W, which is crazy power, I saw a 60" LED screen that was 120W the other day. The max a socket here takes is just under 3000W. So the transformer will be expensive and probably huge. That coupled with the vat & duty might make it a bad choice.

Yeah it doesn't sound too promising does it. Actually a guy in Peats said the same thing to me about the shipping but I figured there must be a way around it. Especially since Peats themselves sell Onkyo albeit standalone receivers http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v3.cgi?view_subcat=1&id=5488&sid=10&cid=123. Maybe there's only a shipping issue as regards the HT-S5400 and the like? I don't know, and I'm really beginning to not care.. I'm only starting out with HT and apparently Onkyo have some of the only "kits" worth getting. I'm on a pretty tight budget but I reckon I might push it a bit to buy a good speaker package and a standalone receiver. Which receiver I'm going to choose for the speakers is a another story.. Hopefully nothing will catch on fire : ]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I got something just today from amazon.com, they do ship to Ireland, you are looking at electrical items though and I think at one stage amazon uk didn't ship them to Ireland either. Shipping to Ireland is very dear though, I only was getting something quite small, a pair of shoes, but they were charging over €30 for shipping, I got it delivered to parcel motel instead and shipping was €10 so well worth it. Parcel Motel is great, I didn't think I would have much use for it but this my 3rd time using it since Christmas, they are adding a drop service as well which will be really handy for selling stuff online!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I got something just today from amazon.com, they do ship to Ireland, you are looking at electrical items though and I think at one stage amazon uk didn't ship them to Ireland either.

Amazon do ship electrical to Ireland, just not every type of electrical item
    Shipping to Ireland is very dear though, I only was getting something quite small, a pair of shoes, but they were charging over €30 for shipping, I got it delivered to parcel motel instead and shipping was €10 so well worth it. Parcel Motel is great, I didn't think I would have much use for it but this my 3rd time using it since Christmas, they are adding a drop service as well which will be really handy for selling stuff online!

If you were charged 30 shipping to Ireland then this wasn't with Amazon directly, you would have been buying from a third party marketplace seller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Are Parcel Motel not specific to the EU where no customs duty applies. ? A lot of retailers in the US won't send to Europe -- I think its just too much hassle for them.The way around this is to register with one of the US forwarding agencies who will send electrical items. I use www.shipito.com which I find reasonable.Try and use USPS if possible as items sometimes slip through without customs duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Cabaal wrote: »
    Amazon do ship electrical to Ireland, just not every type of electrical item

If you were charged 30 shipping to Ireland then this wasn't with Amazon directly, you would have been buying from a third party marketplace seller

I can assure you it was Amazon, it definitely was not a third party seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭zeromemory

Did you try www.myamericanshopper.com though shipping would be the same price as the item..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Hi i ordered a product from a seller that does not deliver to ireland by mistake,But amazon emailed me with an order number and delivery date does this mean the seller will dispatch my order?

Advertisement