Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a home network

Options
  • 03-04-2013 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hello,

Need some advice on setting up a home network.

Have UPC router downstairs in the living room. Installed here by UPC beside the TV.

Home office is upstairs. I have a HP printer in the office upstairs. I want to get this printer on the network and I don't want to run an ethernet from the router downstairs to the office.

Are powerline adapters my only option to get the wireless printer on the network?

techman
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

techman wrote: »
    Hello,

Need some advice on setting up a home network.

Have UPC router downstairs in the living room. Installed here by UPC beside the TV.

Home office is upstairs. I have a HP Wireless printer in the office upstairs. I want to get this printer on the network and I don't want to run an ethernet from the router downstairs to the office.

Are powerline adapters my only option to get the wireless printer on the network?

techman

Does the wireless work in the office?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭techman

Yes, I have WiFi in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm puzzled then ... why do you feel you need to connect the printer using an ethernet cable if it's a wireless printer?

Sorry, it's not a WiFi printer. It has an ethernet port and I can then print using WiFi to the printer if I can get the printer on the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Powerline adapters would be an option then in that situation if you can't / don't want to run Ethernet cabling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Ah I get you now.

Powerline is the easiest way by far.

You could probably do it a little cheaper with a wireless access point, but personally I dont think its worth the effort

Will try the powerline adapter.

Thanks all.

Advertisement