Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Cycling Clothing too expensive ???

Options
  • 03-04-2013 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Im just wondering if anybody else thinks that cycling clothing is very expensive to buy in retail outlets in Ireland.Maybe its just me who likes to actually see what I am buying beforehand rather than a photo on a website. Also, the sizes like for like can vary hugely between manufacturers.

I am thinking strongly about opening a cycle clothing shop for two reasons.

1) To give people the chance to try before you buy first of all

2) To give better value as I am aware that there is a massive mark up on cycling accessories in retail outlets.

Would there be a demand ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Wrong section mate.

Would you be able to compete with online stores such as wiggle and CRC though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Do up a business plan with all the figures and then come back. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Barcafan11

Like I said its still at the very early stages. But you can bet your ass they're making a pretty penny too

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Moved to main forum as this isn't a training log.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Barcafan11 wrote: »
    Like I said its still at the very early stages. But you can bet your ass they're making a pretty penny too

Don't see many local bike shop owners driving around in top of the range 2013 cars, or even expanding their often very modest premises. Been in business for myself for the last 25 odd years, and I regularly thank the lord that I've nothing to do with retail. Best of luck, but don't expect an easy ride. Local bike shops are the least of your competition. You've LIDL and ALDI looking after the cheap and cheerful end of the market, Wiggle, CRC etc.. on-line, and the likes of CSS as local bricks and mortar big store. You've also got to buy in stock which changes with the seasons, paid for in advance, some of which you won't sell, pay a salary and rent. There are good reasons why local shops are more expensive than off short on-line alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Of course cycle clothing is too expensive.

The issue is that CRC and wiggle etc seem to be price matching each other rather than trying to beat prices.

Big branded stuff is hugely expensive and at the far end of the scale you have for example the cheapo aldi/lidl shorts that dont fit particularly well.

I'd imagine that with some hard work you could produce a product that fits well and is cheapish, but it wouldn't be easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

I was just thinking I have 2 Castelli Jerseys I bought back in '00. They are pretty close to new looking. At the time they probably seemed expensive but given how long they have lasted they were very good value. If you read reviews and do a bit of research you can get good service and value.

I was made redundant a few years ago. I was interested in opening a bike shop as I had cash to invest. I found a business plan calculator online on one of the British Bank sites. It had a format for a bike shop that was surprisingly accurate ( for instance it accounted accurately for workshop tools item by item...) I also had meetings with importers and distributors to check margins etc. You wouldn't believe how tight those margins are for the small to medium market. In order for to match free shipping on most items you would go negative margin. I calculated that if I had 1/4 of the floor space and opened a florist I would likely make 3 times the margin. After that I had a whole different view of the bike shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I was made redundant a few years ago. I was interested in opening a bike shop as I had cash to invest. I found a business plan calculator online on one of the British Bank sites. It had a format for a bike shop that was surprisingly accurate ( for instance it accounted accurately for workshop tools item by item...) I also had meetings with importers and distributors to check margins etc. You wouldn't believe how tight those margins are for the small to medium market. In order for to match free shipping on most items you would go negative margin. I calculated that if I had 1/4 of the floor space and opened a florist I would likely make 3 times the margin. After that I had a whole different view of the bike shops.

It was a flippant remark but that was my point. Loads of people seem to think it's easy to set up a business and make a ton of money and those already running the same kind of business must be raking it in - often that's far from the truth. Sometimes it's only when you sit down and take the time to do out a business plan that you realise things might not be as easy as you think.

I've been part of and done business plans for two technology start-ups. One was a great success that got sunk by something we didn't identify in our swot analysis - the other we walked away from after 12 months of work as we decide it wasn't worth committing any more time to even though the forecasts looked good. I've great admiration for any entrepreneurs who have the balls to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Trying to get a slice of the 33 billion?
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/cycling-is-now-number-one-global-sports-market-31978/

I'd take a wander into this shop. Dunno if my buying patterns would keep it open. I'd definitely buy if it had cheaper versions of Rapha or something similar to the casual DHB stuff. Basically some non-luminous utility cycling clothing. Merino tops, decent looking rain jackets, jeans with cycling friendly seams.

I often wonder why non-cycling sport shops, like Elvery's or Champion, never have any cycling clothes. Maybe margins are too tight or maybe they never thought of it. Or maybe they only make money on the sports clothes that people don't actually use for sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Lots of empty premises out there. Try doing a few pop ups around the City and see what response you get. I would definitely be interested in a place to try on reasonably priced gear, some retro fashion stuff might also go down well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nthside_cycle

I think branded cycling clothes are way overpriced.

I find Decathlon the only shop that sells reasonable priced cycling clothes.I find the clothes are decent quality and they have very cheap ranges to more reasonable ranges. I would be looking at the price they are charging. But you imagine they have huge buying power and there margin probaly fairly low due to the volume they sell and all the other sport equipment they sell.

Also I think be hard only having a shop that sells cycling clothes you need to be selling other sports clothing.

What about a market stall at the summer cycling sportives and see how well you do selling at them.

I find irish bike shops don't stock a great selection of clothes. You would of imagined at least one shop would see a niche there and do a good range of clothes to suit the communter to the sport cyclist. Most shops seem to aim the cycling clothes at the sport cyclist and not people who cycle to work and cycle for leasure.

If Decathlon can sell a jersey for less that €10 I can't see why shops in Ireland can't sell a similar jersey for €15 and be still making some margin. As not everyone requires jersey for €50/€60 .

Is it not an eye opener to cycling shops if Alidi/Lidl sell cheaper jerseys and they sell out quickly that there is a market there for cheaper clothes. Some margin is better than nothing. Of course cycling shops can't sell at the same price as Aldi/Lidl but they should be selling jerseys in the price backet Aldi/Lidl are selling them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Or maybe they only make money on the sports clothes that people don't actually use for sport.
    That's a very valid point. Very few cycling items can be used for other sports - except perhaps base layers and rain jackets for walking/running. And practically none can be used for casual use.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

I think the biggest problem you will have is the online stores.
    They are a dime a dozen and most are free delivery to Ireland or €3.50 via Parcel Motel..
    If people see that you dont offer the same value as online they will use your shop to try on and view the clothes then just buy them online.

Im only cycling about 18 months so Im building up my stock of gear slowly only when the offers come in on emails...

Sites are even doing big discounts on stock in season so it would be hard to compete with their discounts.

But even trying on stuff isnt as critical as it used to be. I ordered 5 jackets online a few months back found 2 that fitted perfectly and returned the other 3 for €5 to UK. Both were over 50% discounted and much better price than other sites.

One thing I have noticed is that good clothes cheap are better than cheap clothes... Not a big fan of Aldi/Lidl/ Sportsdirect stuff, better to wait for offers...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I got a good (expensive at the time) pair of shorts, leggings, jacket and jersey when I used to do a a bit of mountain biking when I was 12. I still use them all. Buy decent stuff and look after it, better than cheap stuff. (I'm 34 now)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Try before you buy doesn't always work when you're a novice. I remember buying my first pair of bibs in an LBS. I didn't know then that I know now that they were (still are!) too small for me! Similarly when I bought a pair or motorbike trousers, tried them on in the shop, look grand I'll take them, only to sit on the motorbike the following day and the leg end is around my shins :o !

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

tunney wrote: »
    I got a good (expensive at the time) pair of shorts, leggings, jacket and jersey when I used to do a a bit of mountain biking when I was 12. I still use them all. Buy decent stuff and look after it, better than cheap stuff. (I'm 34 now)

But you only wear them during the summer ... ;)

I never understood myself why the likes of Nike never expanded their cycling range beyond Livestrong. And we all know how that ended up. They do a fantastic range of running gear, and its reasonable enough to buy in their outlet stores compared to other sports stores.

I did ask the guy in the Nike shop ( a supervisor),why they dont stock a range of cycling gear th which he replied : " There's not realy a demand for it". I tried my hardest not to laugh at him and walked out of the shop. If this is the calibre of people they employ its hardly surprising they dont do much cycling gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I never understood myself why the likes of Nike never expanded their cycling range beyond Livestrong. And we all know how that ended up. They do a fantastic range of running gear, and its reasonable enough to buy in their outlet stores compared to other sports stores.

I did ask the guy in the Nike shop ( a supervisor),why they dont stock a range of cycling gear th which he replied : " There's not realy a demand for it". I tried my hardest not to laugh at him and walked out of the shop. If this is the calibre of people they employ its hardly surprising they dont do much cycling gear.

In all reality the running gear is worn by people while they aren't running - day to day, gym, whatever. Same just can't happen for cycling gear.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I must be reading this wrong. You can still fit into the same clothes you wore as a 12 year old at 34???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

In all reality the running gear is worn by people while they aren't running - day to day, gym, whatever. Same just can't happen for cycling gear.

Nike also make ski gear and golf gear, I'd imagine that the casual cycling market is comparable to these, and I don't see too many people walking around town in golf spikes or salopettes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I don't see too many people walking around town in golf spikes or salopettes.

Ahh you need to visit different towns ! :D:D

Surely thrcycling maket is a lot bigger than skiing or golfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Laundry_Hamper

Surely thrcycling maket is a lot bigger than skiing or golfing.

Less money in it though. We're all frugal bastards (beyond the bikes themselves) here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Nike also make ski gear and golf gear, I'd imagine that the casual cycling market is comparable to these, and I don't see too many people walking around town in golf spikes or salopettes.

But golf gear is usually sold in dedicated golf shops and ski gear in outdoor shops (where cycling gear sometimes resides).

There is not much in the way of golf or ski gear in Champion Sports or Elvery's. Maybe in the larger retail park outlets but not in the high street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Its very difficult for Irish shops the online giants have far less overheads and can drive down costs by purchasing in bulk - I will admit after freezing my bollox off last year I was in the market for a high end winter jacket and i snuck into the local lbs for a try of a couple of Santini and Extondo jackets for fit with a view to buying online.

The marked price of the one i liked was far in excess of what I could get it for online but when I asked how much he would charge me he came out with a figure that was around 35-40% of the marked price as he was getting new stock in.

So needless to say I bit his hand off there and then- I am a reasonably good customer of his but it was a massive discount. Its hard for him to put up that price on his website if he has one as he would be swamped and a customer might pay a lot more for it walking in off the street

I used to think the high end brands were rip offs but you pay for what you get, after picking up a few items the quality is far superior

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Quoting deleted post

This is indeed nice gear for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Economies of scale are the issue for LBS pricing.

Decathlon is a massive multinational chain with huge purchasing power. Certainly enough to keep a factory open by themselves, CRC and wiggle have a decent amount of purchasing power too and enjoy sufficient flows of money to be able to absorb a few unpopular sellers and move money around to be able to sell some items at a loss as part of broader strategies to keep customers coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

In terms of what you think people should be paying for varying levels of quality in gear, just have a look at the boards jersey thread to see the options when you essentially cut out as many links in the supply chain as possible. Quality gear is not cheap, regardless of where you source it - I think the boards gear was very reasonable considering how nice it is, but you can't compare that to Aldi/Lidl gear or even the entry level Decathlon stuff - bear in mind that the entry level Decathlon bib shorts are £25 sterling and the padding is terrible in them. The next cheapest they have is £40 - we paid €44 for a custom design from Verge with excellent padding.

Advertisement