Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first pregnancy - very confused

Options
  • 03-04-2013 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,

I recently found out I'm pregnant (5 weeks now) with my first baby.

I'm not Irish and I'm finding the whole system here very confusing, so I would appreciate any comments and advice... >.< In my country you are taken care of by gynecologist all the way through your pregnancy, and the GP/hospital thing seems a bit bizzare to me...

As soon as the test came up positive, I went to the nearest GP (I'm rather healthy, so for all the years I've been here I never needed a GP). She was nice enough but didn't really give me any information :( She said I need to ring up a hospital to get appointment and got me to fill a form (she referred me to Rotunda). She did not tell me anything about visit schedules or anything else, and I was in a bit of shock so didn't ask. Might ask for another GP next time :(

So now I have to decide if I really want to go to Rotunda or somewhere else. I've been reading a lot of forums and reviews etc and I'm hesitating between Rotunda and Holles Street. Rotunda is massive so I'd be expecting bigger queues and less personal care? And bigger rooms? Holles Street seems nice and more cosy but the reviews aren't in general as good as Rotunda, surprisingly. Both of these are very far from my work (Sandyford), so this is not a thing I need to take into consideration.

If I choose Holles Street, I assume I should let my GP know that I didn't go with Rotunda?

Another thing is the public / semi-private thing. We have VHI, so that would help a bit with the cost, but it's still a lot of money. A lot of people seem to think that the difference in care between the 2 is not worth the money, so I'm thinking about public.

I have 2 big worries at the moment.

1. I'm 32 and half, so I'd like to get an earlier scan to see if everything is ok (nuchal scan?). I assume that is always done privately, and the cost is about 250?

2. I have one health issue - rather big scoliosis, and I'm worried about this being taken seriously. My doctor in my home country said I might need to take it very easy (maybe even just stay in bed) in the 3rd trimester, and that I'd most likely need to have a c-section. If the hospital here decides I need additional consultation re scoliosis, will this be free too?

Sorry for a massive post, but there is nobody I can ask, as we haven't told anyone yet...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

elfinka wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm not Irish and I'm finding the whole system here very confusing, so I would appreciate any comments and advice... >.< In my country you are taken care of by gynecologist all the way through your pregnancy, and the GP/hospital thing seems a bit bizzare to me...

As soon as the test came up positive, I went to the nearest GP (I'm rather healthy, so for all the years I've been here I never needed a GP). She was nice enough but didn't really give me any information :( She said I need to ring up a hospital to get appointment and got me to fill a form (she referred me to Rotunda). She did not tell me anything about visit schedules or anything else, and I was in a bit of shock so didn't ask. Might ask for another GP next time :(

So now I have to decide if I really want to go to Rotunda or somewhere else. I've been reading a lot of forums and reviews etc and I'm hesitating between Rotunda and Holles Street. Rotunda is massive so I'd be expecting bigger queues and less personal care? And bigger rooms? Holles Street seems nice and more cosy but the reviews aren't in general as good as Rotunda, surprisingly. Both of these are very far from my work (Sandyford), so this is not a thing I need to take into consideration.

If I choose Holles Street, I assume I should let my GP know that I didn't go with Rotunda?

Another thing is the public / semi-private thing. We have VHI, so that would help a bit with the cost, but it's still a lot of money. A lot of people seem to think that the difference in care between the 2 is not worth the money, so I'm thinking about public.

1. I'm 32 and half, so I'd like to get an earlier scan to see if everything is ok (nuchal scan?). I assume that is always done privately, and the cost is about 250?

2. I have one health issue - rather big scoliosis, and I'm worried about this being taken seriously. My doctor in my home country said I might need to take it very easy (maybe even just stay in bed) in the 3rd trimester, and that I'd most likely need to have a c-section. If the hospital here decides I need additional consultation re scoliosis, will this be free too?

Sorry for a massive post, but there is nobody I can ask, as we haven't told anyone yet...

Hi, and congrats!

First things first, if you're not happy with your doctor, change doctors. I didn't enjoy my first doctor and didn't change and I regretted it.

You could try the Domino scheme. I know they're all out for natural birth. But I'm going with them for this pregnancy and they're fully supportive of the possibility of an epidural if needed (I'm going to the mental health clinic for a little talk first). What I'm saying is they are very nice and supportive and it'll mean the only time you need to go to the hospital is for your scans.

As for the scans, yes, the first, 12 week scan, (nuchal) isn't covered in most cases - and age isn't enough of a case. But I got mine done for €150 in Merrion Fetal Health.

You can visit the Domino Scheme midwives in Ballyogan - luas stop Leopardstown valley- which should make it easier for you. The Domino scheme is with Holles Street though. Just in case that affects your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Liffeyrumours

Hi,

Congratulations!! I'm from Ireland and was completely confused myself so you're not alone! I'm 17 weeks now and feel I just about have it sussed!

Bought a great book in Hoges & Figges yesterday. 'The Mum's Guide to Having Your Baby in Ireland' by Lucy Taylor.
    It's completely centred around Irish services, different options available to you and includes interesting stats about the hospitals here. I'd deffo recommend.

Good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I was expecting a schedule of dates too but basically you ring the hospital of your choice and make your first appointment. They'll tell you then when the next appointment is. The idea is that as you progress through your pregnancy, you see the gp more so(assuming its a normal healthy pregnancy).

As for what hospital, I chose the rotunda cos it's near where I live. I don't have any other children but I had an ectopic and was treated there and found the care great.

As regards your medical condition, mention it when booking first appointment. There's no reason to be worried about them not taking it seriously. Have a chat with them first and they'll put your mind at ease.

Congrats and best of luck :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Congrats OP. I am pregnant with no 2 and though it is not my nearest hospital, I have went to the Rotunda again. It is big, but I found the care good enough to want to go there again. They are lovely, the nurses were absolutely lovely. You will have to pay for the nunchal scan.

As soon as you ring your hospital, you will be given a date for your first appointment. That day they will take bloods, BP, take your weight and height and you will get a scan to date your pregnancy. It is a long visit, there is a cafe there and I would suggest a good book too :) IF you choose the Rotunda.

The hospital will tell you all the appointment dates and will arrange a 20-24 week scan too on the day of your first visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 elfinka

Thank you for all the replies :)

nicowa - I think I'll change the GP, there are 3 other doctors in that surgery so maybe they'll be more supportive. I read about Domino scheme and I don't think it's for me, as I have back problems, but thanks for mentioning it!

Liffeyrumours, I'll be sure to check out this book, sounds very useful!

kandr10 - You're right, it's better to mention my scoliosis when I call the hospital, I planned to leave this until actual visit. I told my GP about this condition but she didn't comment on this.

wolfpawnat - Thanks for the info, I'm still in 2 minds about hospital choice...

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll go public now, and spend the money I would use for semi-private for additional scans and stuff like this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Given your back condition I think a Home Birth would be out of the question for you. My wife and I are expecting our first child around the Aug Bank Holiday. We had our first scan (and only) scan in the Midlands Regional Hospital and the Consultant was really nice. He told us there was no need for another scan/visit to the hospital unless we went to 42 weeks.

It seems that, depending on Hospital you choose, you may have 1-2 scans during the pregnancy. You will prob have to pay for any others privately. We didn't have our scan until 15 weeks and all seems fine.

Hope all goes well for you and that you are happy with the decisions you make over the next while. As another poster said, if you are not happy at all then change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Hi all,

If you go public and there are any additional consultations that your GP/consultant refers you too, or extra scans ordered by the hospital, these will be free also.

Lang - yes I would think home birth is out of question, even if they said it's ok. As it's my first, I'd feel safer in hospital. I don't mind paying for additional scans (within reason) - I just want to know everything is ok. In my country you get a scan every month. Irish doctors just seem more relaxed about this :)

January - thanks for claryfing, it seems that public is the way to go then! We could pay for semi-private, but if additional scans/ consultations are necessary, it might get too expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Lang - yes I would think home birth is out of question, even if they said it's ok. As it's my first, I'd feel safer in hospital. I don't mind paying for additional scans (within reason) - I just want to know everything is ok. In my country you get a scan every month. Irish doctors just seem more relaxed about this :)

January - thanks for claryfing, it seems that public is the way to go then! We could pay for semi-private, but if additional scans/ consultations are necessary, it might get too expensive!

To be fair whenever I went to Holles Street to the consultant for my appointments they usually did a quick scan. It made the wait bearable but I didn't need it.

Once my questions were answered and the big scan showed all was alright I was happy. The techniques for examination are so fine tuned that they know exactly what's going on in there.

I booked with Holles Street in the end - first visit in the beginning of June :)

I also booked a private visit with Polish gynecologist in 3 weeks - I'll get to see if baby's ok much earlier.

Much calmer now that I have a plan of sorts :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Normally in pregnancy here you are looked after by an Obstetrician whom you will see at your hospital visits,as you are public you may never see the same one twice.
    From what friends have told me the care here is very different to Poland but do not get disheartened:)

Congrats:)

Advertisement