Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€100 off Return Flights to the USA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

What I find funny is the fact that I booked flights less than 2 weeks ago, got this email, kicked myself, checked the price, and with the €100 discount it has worked out more expensive! Not kicking myself so much anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep.. unfortunately these Aer Lingus fake sales / "discounts" are too common an occurrence..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056502160#post76291130

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

Well I've been keeping an eye on the flights for the past month, and I saved €100 on my flight, so I thought It was half decent, suppose it might depend on what time of year you travel and location.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

What I find funny is the fact that I booked flights less than 2 weeks ago, got this email, kicked myself, checked the price, and with the €100 discount it has worked out more expensive! Not kicking myself so much anymore!

You are surely not suggestiing that a company would bump up their prices just before they do a "Bargain Sale" which suggests that it is better value now and you are saving a fortune? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

booked flights last night for Oct, you wont do much better than 430

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Boscoirl wrote: »
    booked flights last night for Oct, you wont do much better than 430

Where are you going to? €400 seems pretty standard for October unless it was mid-term you booked for

going over the bank holiday weekend, they were dates that suit, the same days with Continental were 700 last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Boscoirl wrote: »
    going over the bank holiday weekend, they were dates that suit, the same days with Continental were 700 last week

Ye that weekend would be pricey, €430 is definitely a good deal for then.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

okidoki987 wrote: »
    You are surely not suggestiing that a company would bump up their prices just before they do a "Bargain Sale" which suggests that it is better value now and you are saving a fortune? :rolleyes:

No no, what Im saying is that BEFORE the sale they were cheaper! Now in the sale they are more expensive.

3 Flights return to Orlando cost me €2150 whilst now its closer to €2200!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a law against such a practice? i.e. you can't advertise something as on sale if it wasn't at a higher price for the previous 30 days?

Might be worth asking the National Consumer Agency about that if you feel there's something awry....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Unfortunately I know that Aer Lingus are notorious for this. I hate their sales, they never, ever, ever have value or the price they advertise unless its two flights in a month with the most awful hours known to man.

Poor form once again Aer Lingus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Your only allowed complain about underhanded tactics if its Ryanair, now move on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭davidlynchis

Just booked flights last Thursday return to San Diego 9th - 19th May for €347 return each including taxes. ~14hour travel time each way as well so unreal value.

Someone posted it here a few weeks back. AFAIK if you can take next week off work there are still €325 return flights on klm.com to San Diego, Phoenix, Tampa (FL)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

€347 return each including taxes

Now that's a BA! :P

BA are charging 740 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

eorpach wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a law against such a practice? i.e. you can't advertise something as on sale if it wasn't at a higher price for the previous 30 days?

Might be worth asking the National Consumer Agency about that if you feel there's something awry....

Its not a "Sale" though. They are just offering €100 off flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

will echo what's already been said, €100 off means nothing if it's being taken off an arbitrary figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

antodeco wrote: »
    No no, what Im saying is that BEFORE the sale they were cheaper! Now in the sale they are more expensive.

3 Flights return to Orlando cost me €2150 whilst now its closer to €2200!

It seems a common perception that shenanigans are afoot when it comes to sale time at Aer Lingus .

But how do you know that differential isn't simply a consequence of dynamic pricing?

It's standard practise to adjust the fare and freight rates on a daily or even hourly basis, based on fluctuating levels of demand & competitor pricing. This ensures they reach their break even load factor in the first instance and go into profit on seat sales beyond that point.

If someone demonstrated that ticket prices across the routes on sale routinely shift in EI's favour, then there may be an issue. You'll certainly read anecdotal evidence of it occurring here on Boards (though you'll also find instances to the contrary - 2 reports of folks bagging lower fares to the US after the sale had commenced in the thread Basq quoted here). But without an audit from CAR or other appropriate regulatory body, I'm not sure sharp practise is a watertight conclusion to reach.

Advertisement