Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Definition of a "dependant child"

Options
  • 03-04-2013 4:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi I am just looking for clarity of the term dependant child?

I am 21 years old and was living (during term time) away from home in 2012 and 2011. Now I live at home but pay rent and pay bills, buy my own food. Although I live at home I pay this, is this clause enough to merit independent?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,931 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

FOS5252 wrote: »
    Hi I am just looking for clarity of the term dependant child?

I am 21 years old and was living (during term time) away from home in 2012 and 2011. Now I live at home but pay rent and pay bills, buy my own food. Although I live at home I pay this, is this clause enough to merit independent?

Thank you :)

No

You have to be 23 or over and you have to live outside the family home

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1339418623/Student_Grant_Scheme_2012.pdf
    (3) In this scheme an “independent student” means a mature student who did
    not ordinarily reside with his or her parents, or either of them, from 1 October
    of the year before the first point of entry to an approved post leaving certificate
    course or an approved higher education course or re-entry to an approved
    course.
    (4) “Mature student” means a student who on 1 January—
    (a) in the year of entry for the first time to an approved post leaving
    certificate course;
    (b) in the year of entry for the first time to an approved higher education
    course (other than a course known for the time being as a post leaving
    certificate course); or
    (c) in the year of re-entry to an approved course,
    is at least 23 years old.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement