Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fix a leaking tap / pipe...

Options
  • 03-04-2013 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

This can happen anytime and it's a neat skill to learn or have when it strikes. It might mean a bit less work for Joe the Plumber but his rates can be kinda high these days, especially if you live miles from an urban area...

Basically make sure you've got the tools to hand, isolate the mains supply, remove the faulty parts, fit the new ones, tighten up and turn on the mains again.

Hopefully if all is well you'll have a tap that doesn't leak anymore!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

And if you dont have the tools or washers Duct Tape works :P
    Good to know I have to get a tool to turn my water off outside the house as it maybe 1 foot down and only about 4 inch square shore Thankfully most pipes can be turned off inside the house But it will be Duct tape to the rescue if i get a leak or burst pipe between the mains and my first valve

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Haven't watched the vid as I'm in work but there's an epoxy putty you can get that works a charm on leaks. It sets under water and when dry can be sanded, drilled, painted.... There's different brands available in the euro shops that I haven't tried yet but Mil-Tec is a good brand off eBay. Cut off as much as you need, knead it well and form it up. You'd have to turn of the water first but it's a handy thing to have in the BoV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Half inch class C alkathene pipe used with a compression fitting should have an insert.

alkathene_half_liner.138.jpg

It will work without one but when not used joints have a much higher failure rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭spynappels

For threaded unions, also use plenty of PTFE tape, cheap as chips and makes a huge difference.

Advertisement