Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh god, I'm turning into my Mother/Father

Options
  • 03-04-2013 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭

So, I was sitting on the couch on my own and all of a sudden I realise I've had my forefinger and thumb rooting around the outermost part of my inner nose pulling out the hairs which reside there (the manly way to deal with nose hair) for the best part of an hour.

This is something my father always did. It shocked me to my very core as I realised I'm slowly but surely turning into my father :( I'm 19 ffs, this shouldn't be happening until I'm at least 40.

This got me thinking, what small and seemingly insignificant things do you do that resemble things that your parents did/do. And also, does the prospect of turning into one of your parents scare you? It terrifies me tbh.

Inb4 get a nose hair trimmer you pleb.
    Inb4 "inb4-ing" in the OP is cheating.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Don't worry, hermaphrodism no longer encourages the same stigma it used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

im 27 and i do it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

You're turning into your mother/father?

Do you get balls and a vagina or a dick and a clitoris. Or are the genitals divided completely differently? Do you have boobs?

God, I have so many questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Hum tunelessly. My grandmother did it, my mother does it, and I have started to notice myself doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Yep. I hope to fook I don't turn out like my own dad.

Sadly, I think you often meet your destiny on the road you take to avoid it.

Well look at me being all philosophical at this hour :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Keno 92 wrote: »

Do you get balls and a vagina or a dick and a clitoris. Or are the genitals divided completely differently? Do you have boobs?

I wish I had a clit. Great Craic.

Do moobs count? Cause I don't have those either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

1ZRed wrote: »
    Yep. I hope to fook I don't turn out like my own dad.

Sadly, I think you often meet your destiny on the road you take to avoid it.
    I've reported this obvious account hack!

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

I hope I become even a quarter of what my Dad was,,,,even moreso, I hope I'm a tenth of what my mother is...purely unconditional....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Yeah I pick my nose too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I've reported this obvious account hack!

:p
    Piss take that obvious, yeah? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I found myself arguing just like my grandfather yesterday. Had to stop talking as soon as I realised what I was doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

miralize wrote: »
    I found myself arguing just like my grandfather yesterday. Had to stop talking as soon as I realised what I was doing.

Don't stop it, that's what makes us who we are....if we all agree...Jesus, what a boring world it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I've got a paint stirring stick.

I start little jobs around the house, and don't get around to finishing them for months.

I put things in a safe place, then instantly forget A) that I have them or B) where the safe place is.

I used to give out to my Da about the way he changed gears. I caught myself changing gears the same way yesterday.

( :( I miss my Da.)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Keno 92 wrote: »

I got what the OP was talking about.
    Obviously you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

I've found myself listening to music that my Father listened to when I was a kid.
    I've also noticed my son (teenager) now listening to music that i listened to, when he was a kid.
    No doubt about it, we do inherit a lot of beliefs and viewpoints from our parents.
    We might argue with their viewpoints and beliefs when we are young, but trust me, it's registered in our cerebullum and re-emerges when we get older.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I hear their voices every time I give out to my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JohnC83

I start to get really annoyed when someone doesn't switch a light off when they leave a room. Really couldn't understand why it used to be such a big deal with my Dad when I did it. How the tables have turned!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭amacca

I still think its very possible I'm adopted I'm so fundamentally different (crazier) than both my parents.

amacca wrote: »
    I still think its very possible I'm adopted I'm so fundamentally different (crazier) than both my parents.

Wanna trade places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I hear their voices every time I give out to my kids.

Yeah I find myself saying things that my parents used to say to me. 'I'm not asking you, I'm telling you' that used to drive me crazy, and now I say it!

What part of no do you not understand? another favourite of my mothers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Yeah I find myself saying things that my parents used to say to me. 'I'm not asking you, I'm telling you' that used to drive me crazy, and now I say it!

What part of no do you not understand? another favourite of my mothers.

"You'll eat what you're given" and "Close the door, were you born in a field???" are some of my mothers phrases I remember very well. Of course, I find myself using the latter a lot lately...

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

"You'll eat what you're given" and "Close the door, were you born in a field???" are some of my mothers phrases I remember very well. Of course, I find myself using the latter a lot lately...

My reply to that used to be "No i was born in a hospital with swinging doors"..... I am kinda like my mam and dad and have the same beliefs and views.....

Now i noticed my wife turning into my nother in law....AAAGGGHHHHH how did I not see that coming :(

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

+1 on shouting at people that leave doors open/lights on in the house. One thing the family have always been doing have been tucking the curtains in behind the radiators, that's a must have. More recently, I've started watching the news, prime time, nationwide etc, even Vincent fecking Browne. I'm 27 :s

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

My mam had an obsession with tin foil, covers everything food related in it. I used to make fun of her and tell her she was the puppeteer in global warming :P

Housemate commented on my constant use of tin foil the other day. :(.

But at least I don't wrap things in tin foil before putting them in the bin "so they won't smell. " bins shouldn't smell apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,093 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yesterday I was down visiting my cousin and his 20 month year old son, and the amount of habits he's gotten off his granny (a typical Irish mammy) is amazing. He spilled something on the floor yesterday, went to the kitchen to get some kitchen roll and cleaned up the mess himself! Over the weekend he threw his easter egg box into the bin as he knew it was rubbish!

He's barely at the talking age and he's already a little genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Even worse, I think my husband is turning into my Dad a bit. My parents live near us and we see a lot of them. Husband has started using a lot of my dad's little sayings and turns of phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Obviously you didn't.

Bahahahahahahahahahah.

Obviously you didn't.

Ah he was only messing :L Those kind of replies are to be expected in AH :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aSligoDub

Rang the homeplace the other day,

Me: "howrya"...

Silence.

Me: "howrya, mam?"..

Could hear her crying.

Turns out i've started to sound exactly like my dad on the phone. I never got to talk to him on the phone.

• Advertisement

aSligoDub wrote: »
    Rang the homeplace the other day,

Me: "howrya"...

Silence.

Me: "howrya, mam?"..

Could hear her crying.

Turns out i've started to sound exactly like my dad on the phone. I never got to talk to him on the phone.

Sorry for you both.:(

Advertisement