Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granite hearth/fireplace: does the stone need splits in it?

Options
  • 03-04-2013 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

Our current hearth is in several sections and there is a join (for want of a better word) running above the opening in fireplace also. I assume that this is done to allow the heat expansion of the stone. Is that correct or is there another reason?
    Reason being that I am looking at another fireplace right now for another room and there are no splits in either hearth nor fireplace. Is this ok, or is it specifically for gas fires or something?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Our current hearth is in several sections and there is a join (for want of a better word) running above the opening in fireplace also. I assume that this is done to allow the heat expansion of the stone. Is that correct or is there another reason?
    Reason being that I am looking at another fireplace right now for another room and there are no splits in either hearth nor fireplace. Is this ok, or is it specifically for gas fires or something?
    Thanks
    The sections in the hearth and the front are for expansion and are suited for solid fuel.The one with no sections are for gas/ electric

Advertisement