Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on training

Options
  • 03-04-2013 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi,
    This is my first season tackling triathlon's, I am a new to both swimming and cycling (in October I both learnt to swim and started cycling weekly - 60km). I will start with a few sprints and hope by the end of the summer to do an Olympic distance one.
    I am also interested in doing Wicklow 100 or 200 and/or Ring of Kerry each of which is on the week before a triathlon I am already registered for. Am I mad to think that I will have recovered from either or both in time to do well in the triathlon? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Is the Ring of Kerry not punctuated by a load of coffee and food stops, if so doubt you will be pushed too hard on that one. Wicklow 200 will take a lot more out of you - in general though a hard bike wont take as long to recover from as a hard run - do both and go and enjoy them, its your first year I wouldn't be worrying about recovery times and whatnot.

If you are still at in a year or two you can then go neurotic like the rest of us and only target one A race a year, tapering, dieting, style and compression gear ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

I agree with catweazle the Ring of Kerry wont knock a bit out of you. I did it last year, you just roll around filling your belly. Last year was my first year in triathlon and coming from a purely running background I too worried about recovery between races/hard sessions. It doesnt work like that though, no need to taper and such, just take it a little easier the week of a big race. Of course you mentioned doing well in a triathlon- I live a the back of the pack so maybe it would be different for you :)

Advertisement