Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unknown Driving License disqualification

Options
  • 02-04-2013 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Got a visit from the guards yesterday serving a warrant for a court fine of €350 for driving with no insurance. The guard showed me the details of the case which showed the ruling of €350 fine plus a two year disqualification on my licence.

This was the first I'd heard of the disqualification (which has been in affect from Feb 2012, the date of my appeal). The only explanation i can think of for this is that I've changed address since the the original offence took place and as a result I may not have received any correspondance from the court with regard to the disqualification. I wasn't informed of the ruling on the day of the appeal.

To attempt to cut a long story short, I was in the wrong in the first place and have arranged to pay my €350 fine. My question is, what do I say to my insurance company whom I've been insured with since Feb 2013 (all the while on a disqualified license)? Should I just cancel the policy and tell them nothing or explain the situation i.e that I didn't know my license was disqualified when I applied for insurance from them?

Its a mess, I know.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

feno13 wrote: »
    Got a visit from the guards yesterday serving a warrant for a court fine of €350 for driving with no insurance. The guard showed me the details of the case which showed the ruling of €350 fine plus a two year disqualification on my licence.

This was the first I'd heard of the disqualification (which has been in affect from Feb 2012, the date of my appeal). The only explanation i can think of for this is that I've changed address since the the original offence took place and as a result I may not have received any correspondance from the court with regard to the disqualification. I wasn't informed of the ruling on the day of the appeal.

To attempt to cut a long story short, I was in the wrong in the first place and have arranged to pay my €350 fine. My question is, what do I say to my insurance company whom I've been insured with since Feb 2013 (all the while on a disqualified license)? Should I just cancel the policy and tell them nothing or explain the situation i.e that I didn't know my license was disqualified when I applied for insurance from them?

Its a mess, I know.

Thanks in advance.

If you tell them you were disqualified chances are you will get no refund on your premium. Your policy most likely has a condition requiring you to inform them immediately about any such info about bans or endorsements

Check your policy booklet for clarification

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭psalbmb

i know someone who was disqualified from driving, BUT continued to pay their insurance for the year so that their insurance premium wouldn't hit the roof. However its a chance that you take unfortunately, so Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

feno13 wrote: »
    My question is, what do I say to my insurance company whom I've been insured with since Feb 2013 (all the while on a disqualified license)? Should I just cancel the policy and tell them nothing or explain the situation i.e that I didn't know my license was disqualified when I applied for insurance from them?

Its a mess, I know.

Thanks in advance.

You don't have insurance. It's null and void. Cancel the policy and wait out your disqualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

psalbmb wrote: »
    i know someone who was disqualified from driving, BUT continued to pay their insurance for the year so that their insurance premium wouldn't hit the roof. However its a chance that you take unfortunately, so Best of luck.

Do most companies not ask if you've any convictions or ever been disqualified from driving? Lie to them and you're only fooling yourself because as soon as it comes to pay out a claim they'll find out and void your policy.

Advertisement