Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi thermostat wiring

Options
  • 02-04-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting an owl intuition c wifi thermostat. I figured it would probably be an easy enough job to fit as I have an existing danfoss RET 230P thermostat. However when I checked the wiring on the Danfoss (it was professionally installed) it looked a bit different from the manual although I think I understand why it doesn't make any difference:

247699.JPG

When I checked with a phase tester the blue wire was obviously not live, the brown and black wires were live and the green/yellow wire was switched live.

Wiring diagram from the Danfoss instruction manual:

247698.PNG

Here's the wiring instructions for the wifi thermostat:

247703.PNG

Also says:
    • If one of the existing wires is a Neutral supply then this should be ‘parked’ on the terminal labelled ‘N’.

So I think that all I need to do is attach the brown wire to terminal 1 (common) of the wifi thermostat, the green/yellow to terminal 4 (call for heat) and "park" the blue wire on N.

Having said all that I'll probably just go with a professional install (wonder how much it would be?) to be on the safe side.

Any opinions gratefully accepted.

PS I'll try to post a review when I get it sorted out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

Hi Digitaldr, you're correct. Live (brown) to pin 1 and switched live (green/yellow) to pin 4. You have no need of the neutral so, as they say, park it on the N terminal.

It's quite a simple job, but while you're at it you should wrap the green/yellow wire in insulating tape to indicate that it's not really an earth. Brown would be a good colour for this. It may have originally been a professional installation, but the unsleeved green/yellow shows that it wasn't a professional sparks that did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Thanks for that nmacc. You're right - it was installed by a gas central heating installer as part of a controls upgrade. Anyway I ordered the thermostat today so hopefully should have it in about a week or so. It looked liked the best value for money out there. I'm pretty handy when it comes to networking but am still glad that it needs minimum setting up with no need for fixed ip/dyndns/encryption etc. I also considered the climote but it's a bit pricey and there's an annual subscription for the 3G access although it does control hot water too.

Advertisement