Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blowing(up) Money

Options
  • 02-04-2013 8:06pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-22000606
    Police have released CCTV of the moment thieves blew up a cash machine at a petrol station in Hampshire.
    No-one was injured in the blast at the Texaco garage in Weyhill, near Andover, which happened just before 04:00 BST on Sunday.
    Police do not know how much money was taken.
    This has to be the most dangerous way to rob an ATM ever!
    Right next to many thousands of litres of petrol. :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I know it's a crime, and I know it was dangerous and bold and the people responsible should be punished for being very, very naughty, but that looked fukking awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Seen this earlier. Had to be the most stupidest, dummest, criminals ever to use explosives in a petrol station.

Had a blast watching it though.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Some serious firepower wonder what they used.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Seen this earlier. Had to be the most stupidest, dummest, criminals ever to use explosives in a petrol station.

Had a blast watching it though.

:o
    One for the Mythbusters, yes you can set off an explosion right nest to several thousand litres of petrol without setting it on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Well there's a lot of bang for yer buck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Should've talked to this chap.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'm too lazy to start looking but given that the actual fuel is underground is it even possible to set in alight by destroying the pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Completely ridiculous way of robbing it. Whole petrol station could of went up. Half the money could of been destroyed and they run and grab the leftovers with their hands?

How many years would they get if they get caught? All for a fist full of dollars.

Serious explosion though. In before the RA.

humbert wrote: »
    I'm too lazy to start looking but given that the actual fuel is underground is it even possible to set in alight by destroying the pump?
    There are safety systems in place, but still the risks are there!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

There are safety systems in place, but still the risks are there!

Yep. there's something like 40,000 litres under your average petrol station. That's enough for a very, very big bang.

I worked in one years ago and someone set a nearby skip on fire. Three units of the brigade came because of the proximity the skip was to the station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

humbert wrote: »

It can't combust without oxygen,you would have to blow a hole in the ground big enough to burst the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭amacca

for a fist full of dollars.

hope you meant that...if so, niiiiice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

A well known traveller gang were caught a few years back that robbed our local service station's ATM machine.

They used a stolen JCB to rip it from the wall, and apparently after a 20 mile road chase by the Gards, they were eventually apprehended when they were fored to stop at a roadblock.

The leader of the gang tried in vain to convince the Gards that what was in the back of the transit van was actually a washing machine, and not an ATM lol:D

Did them no good anyway, as the Gards eventually charged them with laundering money.

Yer....

Advertisement