Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Publishers in Ireland

Options
  • 02-04-2013 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I am preparing a demo of songs for a Christian publisher in the USA but I would like to release one or two songs in Ireland which I've written recently for the commercial market. I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions re any music publishers in Ireland that could be recommended? Recording and arrangements have yet to be done for the songs, hopefully to be released this year. Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

To be honest, your best bet is to release it and distribute yourself.

I presume you are making hard physical copies (CD's)? You can get about 1,000 cds pressed up for about €700 or less. nowadays.

Find out what kind of outlets are selling your type of music and get them some copies on sale or return basis.

Set up a CD baby account to sell them digitally, or I'd recommend you give them away as a free download.

Its all about raising your profile at this stage. Do you perform live?

Do some research into what local and community radio stations have a religious section and email the presenter an MP3 of your work. If it good they should give it a play. Phone them personally and see if you can do an interview.

All local and community radio stations are always keen (and obliged under their licence agreement) to play original Irish published music.

However if you are entering into an agreement with an american publisher, you would need to check that they are agreeable to you releasing in other territories (as they might want worldwide publishing deal).

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 musicvine

I agree, and hope to release two songs in Ireland before venturing into an album.

Yes, I hope to make hard physical copies. Thank you for that estimate. I am doing a little homework on all of this and have checked out International EAN Code which it seems I need for digital sales and hard copy sales, even if it's only a few!

I have a list of outlets that I will send emails to, when I eventually have songs done. Thanks for that.

Yes, I read about iTunes and connecting to CD baby as agent via same. Free downloads also noted. :)

No, I don't perform live. Somehow I think I'm more suited to just recording and having a Christian CD available, even if it only has low key sales, it is something I want to do for several reasons. :)

Thank you so much for letting me know this > "All local and community radio stations are always keen (and obliged under their licence agreement) to play original Irish published music."

My preference would be to produce in Ireland and no, I have not signed up yet. The Publisher would like to hear what I write after a songwriter in the US, who plays in his own local community, heard a few of my original songs.

Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness, time and consideration in replying. I do appreciate it very much.

No problems.

I presume you mean Bar Code when you say the International EAN Code.

That's easy enough to get. Any good CD pressing plant will get you one for about €10. But you dont really need one unless you are "officially" releasing the CD and want to track sales for chart purposes.

If you are releasing your songs independently you can really fire ahead with things.

If you do eventually release your songs through a PPI recognised label you would get assigned to each of your songs an IRSC Code (International Standard Recording Code) to track any official airplay you have.

But for now I would say to you, get the songs recorded and get the MP3s out there and the physical cd's into the shops and places that will sell them and take it from there.

Best wishes

Yes, barcode. In the USA they have their own UPC code. An international Ean barcode is the one I will need, it seems.

Apparently I do need a barcode if selling digital music and linking up with iTunes through CD baby.

I think it's best to begin with one or two songs independently, and see how it goes from there. I have a bit more to learn.

Thanks again.

A few more questions -many thanks for any assistance on the following:

A) What would be a fair price to pay musicians to learn and play your music for recording?

B) Should songwriters pay arrangers a set fee or a royalty and how much per song? Again, what would be a fair deal?

C) Any links/info on production costs would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 RealSneil

Just to throw my 2 cents in here,

there is no set price or standard way to do this kind of business. You could offer to pay musicians and arrangers as 'work for hire' or negotiate a songwriting royalty with them but if you are giving them a royalty you will probably have to pay them something upfront as well.

Everything else is up for negotiation. I would look at how much work would be needed for each song to arrange it first and then work out a per-hour price. Then when you have something ready to record, hire the musicians and book the studio time. You don't want to be working out arrangements during studio time as it would waste money and frustrate everybody involved!

Hope that helps.

It helps, and many thanks for your time and comment. :)

I'm guessing where you're coming from on this, so one angle you might want to consider is working one-to-one with a multi-instrumentalist, engineer producer who can arrange and produce and play excellent piano, keyboards and guitar and programme drums in his own studio. I know just the man.

You will however be limited to the individuality of the sound that that approach will deliver, but if you have got your act together, songs arranged well and your vocals sorted, then you will get a quality product of sorts.

Ball park figure, say 4 songs working with that sorta producer, budget of 4 days at €500 a day, maybe cheaper in current climate. That would cover 2 days recording tracks, 2 days to mix and master.

But you gotta have prepared well in advance.

The guy I know, real top player, is in Longord but I'm sure there are other studios who can do this sorta service for you in Dublin and other places.

But always ask to hear what a studio has already produced and what they can do for you and for how much extra.

Good luck with the venture.

PS:
    The other scenario that you have outlined is a real ball of trouble for a first timer.

@Kettleson Many thanks for the reply and figure of costs. That's good to know.
    I know a guy in Dublin and there's also a guy (presently working on a project in Derry) available for work on the songs, esp. if I need a traditional flavour in one of them. I'm just in the preliminary stages of getting them sorted and checking out all I need to know.

You're right about the one-to-one which seems the best way forward presently and thanks for mentioning someone who might be available.

"...is a real ball of trouble". Okay so! Noted.

A first timer, in a professional recording studio, yes, though I had visited one or two studios after I sang a few original songs at a few gigs in the late eighties. Went down a different road since then but would like to record now.

Thanks again for all your help. The very best with all your music projects too... I listened to Summertime Reggae by iFoundation, really catchy!

Thanks for feedback, good luck with the project, no need to rush into a project.

Here's the last release: Best wishes in the meantime.

https://soundcloud.com/ifoundation/please-dont-run-away

• Advertisement

It's true, no need to rush. Listening is important, then planning.

'Please Don't Run Away' is another cool rhythmic reggae song with pleasant, easy listening. Can I ask...is that the final mix?

It's one of a few mixes. We were considering doing a heavier dub/bass mix, but I think that's as far as we'll take it for now as the focus is now on recording more upbeat songs with the live band.

Best wishes to you and the band, hope it's a great {music} summer for you all.

Listened to https://soundcloud.com/ifoundation/please-dont-run-away

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed listening. It's a lovely song, up to dance beat, warm (lovely) vocals, and harmony which gives pleasant, easy listening.

Advertisement