Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help RJ-11 to RJ-45

Options
  • 02-04-2013 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Long story short

I have an office/shed out the back and i need to get a decent internet out there. Unfortunately no amount of wireless networking could solve the problem.

I bought a set of powerlines today and success! I have internet out here. I was given a nice belkin N wireless router and i was hoping to use this to get wireless in the shed!

My problem is that it is an ADSL (RJ11) modem. And my internet is coming into the shed via a cat5(rj45). It i buy a rj11-rj45 adaptor/crossover cable will this work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 philroche

If you already have internet using the rj45, you don't need a modem. Just connect the rj45 coming in to the WAN port of your wireless router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It's not as simple as that. Best you can do is stop the Belkin routing by turning it into an access point (if you have that option in the settings) or by turning off DHCP, then just plug the homeplug into a LAN port. The Lan ports will be switched.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Disable the firewall in the shed router and disable DHCP (it will get that from main router). Set gateway for dhcp etc as ip for main router. Plug the powerline into a port and put electrical tape over the wan (phone line socket). Configure the router as an access point as mentioned above. Also give the router an ip so you can access its admin section.

Put the wireless on a different channel (eg 1 and 11) and have same SSID and password. Best of luck :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

fox65 wrote: »
    It i buy a rj11-rj45 adaptor/crossover cable will this work?

Doing that will not work. And I recommend you don't do that either ;)

-The dsl slot on the belkin is meant to be to a phone line (as you know), not an ethernet port so I would personally put tape over the rj11.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭fox65

Thanks for all your help.
    I set aside time last night to trouble shoot it last night but I tried the simple idea of just plugging the internet cat5 into one of the ethernet output ports on the back of the router. Hey presto, internet is being broad cast wirelessly. The indicator lights don't display internet or adsl however the clever machine is sending out internet.

I never got as far as changing the internal router settings.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your help.
    I set aside time last night to trouble shoot it last night but I tried the simple idea of just plugging the internet cat5 into one of the ethernet output ports on the back of the router. Hey presto, internet is being broad cast wirelessly. The indicator lights don't display internet or adsl however the clever machine is sending out internet.

I never got as far as changing the internal router settings.

You must disable DHCP or you will have problems, you do not want 2x routers giving out conflicting DHCP leases

Is this necessary. Router 2 is broadcasting as a separate wireless network, not as an access point/ repeater. It is its own confined system.

Will this not negate the need to disable the DHCP?

Is this necessary. Router 2 is broadcasting as a separate wireless network, not as an access point/ repeater. It is its own confined system.

Will this not negate the need to disable the DHCP?

No it's not. You're not using the Dsl port, so what you got there is an access point and 4 port switch. Think of it as a wireless bridge onto the existing network. An access point can have any wireless SSID, it does not need to be the same as the original router, nor does it make any difference as it doesn't route, just bridges to the existing network. You need to disable DHCP as it will cause problems because you have another router on the same network doing DHCP as well and it is the gateway.

Many thanks póg

After i disable the DHCP, am i correct in assuming i will have to set up static IP for all the devices on router two?

Can i just simply limit the ip pool for both routers. Assign router 1 (main one) ip 192.168.0.2-xxx-xxx-x-150 and then assign router two ip addresses from 151-255

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No, any devices connected to "router" 2 (which is now acting merely as a switch and AP) will just get their IP addresses from router 1's DHCP server.

• Advertisement

Many thanks póg

After i disable the DHCP, am i correct in assuming i will have to set up static IP for all the devices on router two?

No you won't. You have stopped the second router routing by not using the Wan port, the original is doing all routing and giving out DHCP to the whole network.
    Can i just simply limit the ip pool for both routers. Assign router 1 (main one) ip 192.168.0.2-xxx-xxx-x-150 and then assign router two ip addresses from 151-255

What? You're over complicating things. You only have one router, you have stopped the second routing. Look at it this way, a router routes from Lan to Wan (Dsl), by not using Wan port you have stopped it routing, it becomes a 4 port switch connected to your existing router by cable. You do not want it handing out DHCP leases, leave that to the original router. Routers route between networks, switches and access points extend networks. You have one network.

Thanks, I had an oversimplified understanding of the system. Thanks for taking the time

Fox

Advertisement