Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defiance

Options
  • 02-04-2013 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭

was released today on steam, has anyone bought it?

watched a few streams, not sure what to make of it. Looks like a cross between borderlands and mass effect, set as a third-person arpg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Was beta testing it for ages, its not bad, but nothing amazing either, it will get a following but im still curious to see how it intereacts with the tv show, wont be buying it soon though, too much other stuff to do, and not enough free time for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I ended up buying it out of boredom, it's very casual, full of bugs and glitches, but it's really fun! No subscription, some microtransactions (completely optional), it's like an arpg, the fact that it's an mmo means almost nothing as there's very little interaction verbally or textually until you decide to do some co-op missions.

The world itself is pretty nice looking, the AI is really dumb at times.

I've noticed elements from a lot of other games in it, which is good and bad.
    It has Rift-like invasions, "Arkfalls", the co-op matches are basically the same as SWTOR but without the need to look for a group, you join a queue and start when everyone is ready (takes less than 30 seconds right now)
    I dont like pvp, but it has a strong focus on it, with it's own battlegrounds type deal. I played one match, 6v6 (first to score 20 kills wins) i'm sure there are other variants but it didn't interest me.
    Voice acting is a bit hammy and cheesy, but you cant really complain when it has some decent quests/missions and interesting gun skills to level up.

The gun skills works similar to the way borderlands weapon skills increase with the amount of xp earned off a kill with a certain weapon. And there are loooooads of weapons which can be modded or melted down for resources.

On the surface it looks like a pretty simple 3rd person shooter, but it does have enough depth in it to make you want to see what happens next, or at the least, see what this mod does in that gun.

It's worth a look imo

I'm looking forward to the series now too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mouche

It has really good reviews. But before I'll buy it I want to know some more opinions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I watched a stream of the pvp lastnight and it was just mindless bunnyhopping TDM, looked pretty boring to me.

Id certainly hope pve is better but them again its heavily pvp based so zzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

For whats it worth my 2 cents are: I'm not long into it, but i am enjoying it. It's not going to break the mold as far as MMO's go but it's definitely a step in the right direction and can only strenghten the cause that MMO's have a place on consoles.

The game itself, the AI is a tiny bit rubbish and very VERY dumb every once in a while, enemy respawns are a major problem, but nothing that a patch wouldn't fix. The gameplay is decent although i have yet to try PvP so can't comment, and it does look great- there's enough different scenery to make it interesting to zip around and take it all in. For me a strong 8/10. Fix the minor flaws with some patching and it could get a 9/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

The ai and enemy spawns have been the same for months, and was often complained about in testing. The biggest problem that i have with it, after playing for so long, is that it gets very samey... Good game but I don't know about it's lasting ability, gonna wait a month or two before i pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Probably wont ever pick it up but I am very interested to see how they will do the integration with the tv show when it starts next week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I'm really enjoying this, but it doesnt feel like a mmo. Theres very little interaction with other players except when theres a big battle during an Arkfall. Then again, I'm at that brilliant stage in an mmo when I know very little about the game and finding out new things every now and then :)

Advertisement