Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

get it off your chest

Options
  • 02-04-2013 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭

I need to get this off my chest. why does it seem that every where I go I a cancer charity looking for money. I never see any charity out for Alzheimer's and dementia.

I know that cancer it bad but there other thing out there too than just cancer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No need to go looking, they'll find you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Maybe you met them then forgot you met them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If you live long enough you will get cancer definitely.

The same can't be said for dementia or alzheimer's.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,741 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Because they keep forgetting to start one?

I had to do that it was too easy.
    I know several good friends whose families are affected by alzheimers and ive donated to charities they are involved with several times, cant remember the names off the top of my head but its very disingenuous to claim there arent any out there, dont expect them always to come looking for you, wanna donate to a specific cause? Go find it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I can't quote any Irish facts cos there aren't much available but in the US cancer killed almost 7 times more people than Alzheimer's in 2010. It's the 2nd most leading cause of death, Alzheimer's is sixth, Dementia isn't even in the top 10.

So in conclusion, because it affects more people, more people are aware of it and therefore willing to give up their time for it.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭cena

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I can't quote any Irish facts cos there aren't much available but in the US cancer killed almost 7 times more people than Alzheimer's in 2010. It's the 2nd most leading cause of death, Alzheimer's is sixth, Dementia isn't even in the top 10.

So in conclusion, because it affects more people, more people are aware of it and therefore willing to give up their time for it.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm

That maybe the cause. But still no need to put into peoples faces all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

cena wrote: »

Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

the idea is if they don't people will forget about it,

people tend to only give to those they (or someone they know) have been affected by.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

what about the Alzheimer's Society? always see collection boxes at shop tills for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭cena

krudler wrote: »
    what about the Alzheimer's Society? always see collection boxes at shop tills for them.

I know that they are in shops. What I'm on about is the ones with people standing outside.
    I guess I only notice this cause my 62 year old dad has alzheimer's and dementia.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I know that they are in shops. What I'm on about is the ones with people standing outside.
    I guess I only notice this cause my 62 year old dad has alzheimer's and dementia.

Yes but more people know people with cancer. Some of those people lost family members to cancer which led them to go out and increase awareness and raise money for the cause. And statistics tell us that cancer kills 7 times more people than Alzheimer's so basically there are 7 times more friends and relatives of patients who are affected by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Cancer affects more people, ergo more people collect for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I thought this thread was gonna be about phlegm :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Excuse me sir would you like to donate to a very special cause today?

No, your grand thanks, I'm totally broke at the min until pay day...

Ah, but it's a very special and worthwhile cause (insert random cancer charity name here).... They do very good work with cancer patients etc etc etc.

They might well do, but it won't change the fact that I'm broke until pay day....

Every fcukin time too. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

SamHall wrote: »
    Excuse me sir would you like to donate to a very special cause today?

No, your grand thanks, I'm totally broke at the min until pay day...

Ah, but it's a very special and worthwhile cause (insert random cancer charity name here).... They do very good work with cancer patients etc etc etc.

They might well do, but it won't change the fact that I'm broke until pay day....

Every fcukin time too. :confused:

I think i mentioned this in another thread before, ANYONE that approaches you on the street is just looking to take money from you. There is that 1% that are just normal people looking for directions but are few and far between.

Just keep on walking in the direction that you are going and blank these people out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Chewing gum.........why in the sweet refreshing chewy name of Jesus are they still selling it in the city centre. Its all over the paths, not that big a deal...but its entirely needless
    ...how difficult can it be to pass some bullsht regulation, they (dublin city council) manage to pass clamping regulations, no smoking regulations, opening hours, one hundred health and safety regulations so muppets can't hurt themselves.....
    they're experts at bullsht laws, why not one that actually makes the place look like its not an entire shthole to tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Yes but more people know people with cancer. Some of those people lost family members to cancer which led them to go out and increase awareness and raise money for the cause. And statistics tell us that cancer kills 7 times more people than Alzheimer's so basically there are 7 times more friends and relatives of patients who are affected by this.

In my family (extended to cousins and their OHs) two people had/have Alzheimer's. One was my uncle and he was in his 70s when it developed along with Parkinson's and he died a few years ago ultimately from pneumonia not Alzheimer's. My cousin's husband is 55 and he has early on set Alzheimer's and its really sad. It won't kill him though.One of the (many) sad things about Alzheimer's is that it doesn't kill you. It affects so many things but it isn't a killer.
    Cancer has hit my family several times. Again using the same range 5 people have died from cancer and 4 have survived it.
    I tend to donate to both. Its not one or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Charity for alzheimers:

http://www.alzheimer.ie/Home.aspx

They're looking for volunteers and have a fundraiser next month if you're interested OP. As other posterd have said we tend to get involved with causes close to home. Both my parents and two grandparents died from cancer, no one in my family has yet had alzheimers.

I don't think one charity is more important than another, but I will have a more emotional repsonse to those collecting for cancer, as I have first hand experience of the support they provided when needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Chewing gum.........why in the sweet refreshing chewy name of Jesus are they still selling it in the city centre. Its all over the paths, not that big a deal...but its entirely needless
    ...how difficult can it be to pass some bullsht regulation, they (dublin city council) manage to pass clamping regulations, no smoking regulations, opening hours, one hundred health and safety regulations so muppets can't hurt themselves.....
    they're experts at bullsht laws, why not one that actually makes the place look like its not an entire shthole to tourists.

Tbf, chewing gum is the least of the worries for some parts of the city centre

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

And wiping my ass is the least of mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sorry to hear about your dad. I'm in a similar position. Maybe contact the Alzheimer's society and offer to do a collection? Be pro-active?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I want to know what their money goes to. No one i know / knew with cancer ever received anything from any organisation..so where does it go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I want to know what their money goes to. No one i know / knew with cancer ever received anything from any organisation..so where does it go?
    The Irish Cancer Society provides a range of services:
    http://www.cancer.ie/how-we-can-help

Oncology nurses and/or counselor should provide you with information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Gongoozler wrote: »

a close relative of mine died of cancer, peoples money went into providing her care in her last few days, providing her immediate family with counseling, and helping her be as confortable as possible when she passed away.

without donations this hospice wouldn't have been able to do the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Agreed, I wouldnt recommend to a soul to visit Dublin for anything other than a specific event like a match or a concert as obviously there is no choice for those.

Ive seen too many incidents personally at different times of the day and night to avoid the conclusion that a deliberate blind eye is being turned by the Guards and the Council to serious anti-social behaviour by all ages and backgrounds, specifically drug dealing and taking, street drinking and dangerous drunkenness, aggression and intimidationon the street and public transport, unprovoked attacks and beatings, petty theft and mugging, illegal begging, vandalism, toileting, nudity and sex activity.

Obviously the frequency and extremity of the above varies, but its enough to make me seriously concerned if I know my elderly parents or teenagers in the family are spending time on the street in town. It really is risky for anyone without their wits about them and some areas, mainly off O'Connell St, are little better than a cess pit for what you would see going on.

At the same time I know its not exactly Johannesburg or Sao Paulo, but its bad enough to seriously jeopardise the city as a venue and a tourist destination and the more its ignored the worse it becomes and is harder to row back from. I know too its a matter of resources, I dont blame beat Gardai or Council workers, theyre fighting a losing battle with less and less, but unless their superiors realise the greatest asset this City has is itself, then the spiral will continue until the reputation of the place is mud.

Advertisement