Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY

Options
  • 02-04-2013 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I am a competent DIYer.

Has anyone removed a window and installed a patio door as a DIY job?

How did you get on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

have done plenty of them.

is the window ope the same width as the patio door going in?

if it is its not such a big job..if the patio door ope is wider it involves putting in new lentils which is a bit of a pain in the backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

As Albert says if the opening stays the same size it's not hard.

I've done it before, here are some thoughts which may or may not apply to your situation.

Some tricky parts are making sure the frame is dead square in the ope (houses almost never are), and making sure you have the correct damp/water proofing in place around it e.g. the sill, that the frame has correct drainage channels, that is has trickle vents if needed.

You may need to make good outside with render and inside with plaster / insulated plasterboard. Then seal the frame correct sealant. You'll also need to know how to put the glazing unit into the frame and seat the beads which is not hard once you figure it out, far easier with two people though.

Certain locations need toughened glass, see here:

http://www.diamondglass.ie/technical.html

For example a glass door will definitely need to be toughened. You can add common sense onto that, fit toughened glass in locations where the glass might get a smack or could fall on someone.

For my windows and doors I fixed them with large frame fixing screws, and them foamed around the outside of the frame with expanding foam. In an all masonry opening it's usually the foam holding the frame in place, not the screws. The screws were just for security (no crowbar frame out) and to hold the unit in position while the foam cures. I have seen other methods of fixing windows/doors e.g. strapping to the outside of the building when external insulation is going on, or fitting inside a plywood box, but the above seems the usual way.

The glazing unit should ideally be packed inside the frame.

http://www.replacedoubleglazing.com/double%20glazing.pdf

It's worth reading about argon filled, low-e coatings, warm spacer bars, triple glazing if you have the time, basically learning a bit about the glazing and frames first. It makes no sense to go for bottom of the range glazing these days because you can get very good energy efficiency for not much more money depending on what you choose.

http://www.diamondglass.ie/technical_units.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I know this thread has been a while, but where would one go about getting frames made up?

I was thinking of pricing a sliding door or replacing a few windows, I havent bothered looking for a quote as any prices Ive heard from anyone that has gotten them done are way outside what Id have to spend.

An alternative for me for the windows might be to replace the double glazing parts as some seem to have leaked/failed between the panes.
    On top of that I need to replace some hinges and Im not sure where to get the parts.
    I'll have to take a picture, but the way the hinges work, there is a metal part that protrudes towards the hinged side that picks up on a receiving metal part fixed into the corner.
    It seems due to wear, that not all fit into each other correctly, which means the window doesnt seal right. Ive a window that is hinged at the top (en suite) that has the problem and another bedroom window that hinges on the right side (the hinge is not right in the corner of the frame, a space opens up which seems to be to allow you to clean the exterior of the pane beside the hinged portion, but which would limit your exit if you tried to climb out of it).

Ill add pictures after taking some during the daytime.
    I'll add

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

i want to fit a vent cover externally. i would prefer to not have to fix to wall using screws as i expect this might be difficult with drilling etc and instead fix using glue or otherwise? can anyone recommend a product to do this? silicone somebody said might do it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

i want to fit a vent cover externally. i would prefer to not have to fix to wall using screws as i expect this might be difficult with drilling etc and instead fix using glue or otherwise? can anyone recommend a product to do this? silicone somebody said might do it

Why would it be difficult to screw it in place? Any hammer action drill should be decent enough to sort you out. Once secure silicone around to seal / water proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

There are two pieces of white plastic on my freezer door. They " run" through a " receiver" this allows the door to open and close ...the fridge / freezer is built in. These pieces have worn and the door now comes away from the freezer door if you follow. . I called to the kitchen place and they don't do these attachments any more. Advised to try woodies ..no luck ... Where can I get something to keep the door fitted to freezer door.

Can't attach pic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Have you tried B&Q?
    I know they supply with kitchens. They hold a range of kitchen parts so you might get them there. IKEA or indeed any of the kitchen suppliers would be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There are two pieces of white plastic on my freezer door. They " run" through a " receiver" this allows the door to open and close ...the fridge / freezer is built in. These pieces have worn and the door now comes away from the freezer door if you follow. . I called to the kitchen place and they don't do these attachments any more. Advised to try woodies ..no luck ... Where can I get something to keep the door fitted to freezer door.

Can't attach pic

You can get them on the likes of eBay. They're pretty much universal.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pack-Electrolux-Integrated-Fridge-Freezer-Door-Mounting-Bracket-Fixing-Slide-/310715801271

Usually, you screw the little brackets to the door, then mark the position on the door. Use a square edge to line the sliders straight on the door. I'd imagine you'd need to use different holes to the ones on your old sliders. Unless you can find identical ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Thks

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rebelinho

I'm looking to fill the small ventilation gaps along the bottom of my steel shed. It's already done along the top with these 'cut to size' gap fillers. They look like your standard white aeroboard but are more springy (obviously so they expand to fill the gaps). Anybody know what this material is called?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Cut- to length door weather strips?

If not, take a photo and upload it?

Plus you know that you should leave sheds vented?

Advertisement