Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA equivalent to Parcel Motel?

Options
  • 02-04-2013 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

So I want to order some some small items from the US - no delivery to Ireland so is there some service like Parcel Motel that I can avail of or a forwarding service that others have used and can recommend? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

kerash wrote: »
    So I want to order some some small items from the US - no delivery to Ireland so is there some service like Parcel Motel that I can avail of or a forwarding service that others have used and can recommend? Thanks.

http://www.myus.com/

http://www.shipito.com/

Haven't tried them though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Thank you, yes myus I think I actually used that couple of years ago and couldn't think of the name!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

What is the usual charge for myus do you know please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Unless you are going to be using myus a lot and sign up for their monthly fee, it isn't really worth your while. I did a one off purchase with them once and it probably ended up costing me more than had I shipped the item directly from the shop I bought it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I've used Shipito and found them great. If its only one item you want you don't need to sign up for anything, just pay their commission (I can't remember offhand) and the postal charge back to Ireland.

If you're planning on buying a few things you can buy a postal box (they charge monthly for it, but you only pay for the months you want to use). Then you have the option of consolidating all your items into one box (they'll even the the items out of the original packaging to save space if you ask them) and shipping one big package rather than a few small ones. It can work out cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Is tax still charged on stuff coming in from the US when you use these companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    Is tax still charged on stuff coming in from the US when you use these companies?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Vojera wrote: »
    I've used Shipito and found them great. If its only one item you want you don't need to sign up for anything, just pay their commission (I can't remember offhand) and the postal charge back to Ireland.

If you're planning on buying a few things you can buy a postal box (they charge monthly for it, but you only pay for the months you want to use). Then you have the option of consolidating all your items into one box (they'll even the the items out of the original packaging to save space if you ask them) and shipping one big package rather than a few small ones. It can work out cheaper.
    The other thing that Shipito can do is actually make the purchase for you with a US credit card.
    Some places won't even accept a Foreign card and will refuse your order.
    If you pay Shipito a fee for assisted purchase they will do the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

Shipito -- excellent :) must give them a goooo
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    The other thing that Shipito can do is actually make the purchase for you with a US credit card.
    Some places won't even accept a Foreign card and will refuse your order.
    If you pay Shipito a fee for assisted purchase they will do the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I've tried three agencies and Shipito is the best of them. Having the ability to have the package opened and photographed ( for $2 ) is great - you can get confused with multiple purchases.! Use USPS whenever possible - it might slip through.
    Another OP recommended www.stackry.com here but I found their communication and website abysmal - not recommended.
    They are all a bit robotic - they work off the website instructions and while you might email the parent office they won't pass on any instructions, so read the site carefully especially when trying to consolidate packages.

• Advertisement
Advertisement