Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Secretaries

Options
  • 01-04-2013 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know someone who is a school secretary (either primary or secondary)? I am curious about their holidays. Are they the same as teachers?

Any info would be great. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

FiveSpice wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Does anyone know someone who is a school secretary (either primary or secondary)? I am curious about their holidays. Are they the same as teachers?

Any info would be great. Thanks in advance

In my school (secondary) they don't get paid for any school holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Richard571

my wife works in a secondary school: she does not get paid for when the school is closed, term time only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamh1975

Can anyone tell me if there is a standard rate of pay for primary school secretaries and are you entitled to sign on during the summer as you are not bring paid.

niamh1975 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if there is a standard rate of pay for primary school secretaries and are you entitled to sign on during the summer as you are not bring paid.

I don't know about rate of pay but yes you can "sign on". You must sign on for all mid terms etc for credits so you will have enough prsi contributions to get money for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭yelselseivad

To the best of my knowledge the 'official' school secretary in a secondary school is employed full time and gets a set no of holidays. The school administration staff get paid for school days only. In a primary school I believe that the situation is the same and the secretary there gets paid from a school grant for the days they work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lily09

in my school secretary gets 10 euro per hour but is not full time. doesnt sign on for summer but know others jobs in primary that can sign on for summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

lily09 wrote: »
    in my school secretary gets 10 euro per hour but is not full time. doesnt sign on for summer but know others jobs in primary that can sign on for summer.

If he/she is not working during summer surely they can sign on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

I know someone working as a secretary in a primary school. Her holidays dont exactly follow the teacher holidays as she would have to work an extra day here or there during the holidays but for the most part the holidays are the same. She signs on during the holiday periods.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    If he/she is not working during summer surely they can sign on.

Maybe they meant that they don't get any money from social welfare as they don't have enough prsi contributions and therefore it would be means tested (maybe they are married/co habiting). My school is fairly big 850 students 2 1/2 girls who work in the office and none of them get paid during school holidays. The same goes for the cleaners and canteen ladies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

There is no standard pay rate for secretaries as the department doesn't deal with them except to try and cut their pay even though they don't work for the department of education. The person I know gets approximately 11 euro an hour. You are entitled to sign on during the holiday periods (not just the summer period). If you are a primary school secretary make sure to join the Impact Trade Union as they have a section that specifically deals with primary school secretaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

There's no standard pay rate for primary school secretaries, you have to negotiate that yourself. Yes you are entitled to sign on for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,814 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Millem wrote: »
    Maybe they meant that they don't get any money from social welfare as they don't have enough prsi contributions and therefore it would be means tested (maybe they are married/co habiting).

When people first sign, they get job-seekers benefit, which is based on stamps paid rather than a means test. So most school staff would be eligible.

But some may choose not to sign if they can pick up other work over the summer.

I don't know any school secretaries. But I applied for a job as one once, and the deal there was that you were off unpaid during the summer but paid (and working) during the other holiday periods.

If I'd got the job, my plan was to befriend the parents who I thought might need a temp to take their place during the summer when they were off work with the kids.

It's a badly paid role overall, especially since many don't get a 40-hour week out of it.

When people first sign, they get job-seekers benefit, which is based on stamps paid rather than a means test. So most school staff would be eligible.

But some may choose not to sign if they can pick up other work over the summer.

I don't know any school secretaries. But I applied for a job as one once, and the deal there was that you were off unpaid during the summer but paid (and working) during the other holiday periods.

If I'd got the job, my plan was to befriend the parents who I thought might need a temp to take their place during the summer when they were off work with the kids.

It's a badly paid role overall, especially since many don't get a 40-hour week out of it.

If you don't get paid for midterms, Xmas and Easter and didn't sign on there are "breaks" in your prsi and therefore you will be means tested for job seekers allowance. So many teachers and snas in my school get caught out every year (me included after my 1st years teaching!)

Advertisement