Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dishwasher Salt the same as cooking salt?

Options
  • 01-04-2013 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have a question for you.

I just filled the dishwasher with salt (rock salt), a 3kg bag bought from tesco. €1.50

Noticed my salt grinder is empty so filled it too.

Is this safe?, google.com gives some hits saying dont use it but no actual reason?

The ingredients in the back for the bag says its is just salt nothing else.

So is there different grades of salt, last time I checked it was on the periodic table!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Kingkong wrote: »
    So is there different grades of salt, last time I checked it was on the periodic table!!
    Really? Go on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Helpdesk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Carl Denham: "No it wasn't the airplanes. It was dodgy dishwasher salt killed the beast."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

First I was thinking wtf this guy for real
    Then I copped April fools
    Gezz as I hope nobody is that thick anyway :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Really?

That's actually news to me cos salt is't an element.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

it helps clean the dishes that your eating from
    win win

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Yeah, it's exactly the same. Big corporations just want you to pay extra money for nothing. Diesel is just watered down chip oil, I've saved a fortune by making my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Really?

That's actually news to me cos salt is't an element.

Correct
    Salt is a compound I think - although its a long time since I did junior cert science.
    Common table salt is sodium chloride ( both elements on the periodic table in their own right but not together as NaCl)
    Common lo salt is potassium chloride
    Haven't a clue what dishwasher salt is made from but sure as heck ain't NaCl :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,870 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wow.

For starters: NaCl is Sodium Chloride. A Molecule made of 2 elements. Thats the most common type of salt. In table salt containers it regularly has some type of iodide added also.

Dishwasher salt is more coarse and is less likely to create blockages in your dishwasher components, as well as dissolving slower. In addition (heres the important bit) its made with
    Potassium ferrocyanide

You don't want that in your mouth.

It wont kill you, but it has been shown to be lethal in rats in abnormally high doses. When it makes contact with an acid (plenty of those in cooking! or your stomach!) it releases as Hydrogen Cyanide. It wont typically release as Cyanide within your body but say if you were cooking with it and breathed in the hydrogen cyanide fumes when you introduced it to some cooking acids (citrus, vinegar etc) well that would not be favorable sir.

Go buy some real ****ing salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

If it's a salt it could be a combination of an anion and cation. Iodinated salt for example is an edible salt. The iodine portion is used to make T4 and other thyroid related hormones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Correct
    Salt is a compound I think - although its a long time since I did junior cert science.
    Common table salt is sodium chloride ( both elements on the periodic table in their own right but not together as NaCl)
    Common lo salt is potassium chloride
    Haven't a clue what dishwasher salt is made from but sure as heck ain't NaCl :-)

Yep it's a compound.

Dishwasher salt is actually still mostly sodium chloride(less than table salt though) and the rest is sodium or potassium ferrocyanide as Overheal mentioned. That does NOT make it practically the same, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

All white powders are the same. It's just the description on the packaging that tricks you into thinking it's salt, sugar, flour etc

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

First I was thinking wtf this guy for real
    Then I copped April fools
    Gezz as I hope nobody is that thick anyway :pac:
    if its to good to be true without some form of backup,it usualy is,there are a lot of BS stories that get posted on the web for various reasons.

a persons inteligence level has got nothing to do with this idea-the people who trade items for another in some idea/recipe are those who have the complex cognitive ability to think with multiple steps and learn from that information-high academic inteligence,its impulsitivity that drives most stupid actions.

had actualy fell for this story at first because it has happened in our neck of the woods.
    the residential centre am living in used to have an amazing ASDAN towards independance tutor; have known him for four years-one christmas we were making christmas decorations with dough and there was something missing from the recipe so he put dish washer salt in.
    when cooked the other female resident thought it was a biscuit to eat and ate them all off the tree,NHS direct didnt seem to bothered as it was ok for her to stay at home,however in anyone elses circumstances they wont have the security,staffing and medical training around them like we do so they woud probably get a different answer to be safe.

Advertisement