Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home made UAV range

Options
  • 01-04-2013 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I read in a few places that one can use the internet to control their UAV. Has anyone done this? And which method has a great range, I'm talking miles out. So I can't see it anymore.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You might be wise to consider the legalities first. Start with www.MACI.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

vronki wrote: »
    Has anyone done this? And which method has a great range, I'm talking miles out. So I can't see it anymore.

If planning to fly it "miles" and out of view you will be required to contact the IAA (Irish Aviation Authority) for a licence for the uav falling under commercial remote control devices.

This licence also requires onboard radio facilities for atc, Usage of RT

I would advice contacting the aviation authority before building.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭kirving

What would be the iddue if it stayed below 20M (or whatever the maximum altitude is), and was controlled using a 3G internet connection?

I'm using a programmable automation controller for a college project which could be set up to autonomously control a UAV(if you have the ability to program it properly). It can be connected to say a 3G modem, to provide control and telemetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

What would be the iddue if it stayed below 20M (or whatever the maximum altitude is), and was controlled using a 3G internet connection?

I'm using a programmable automation controller for a college project which could be set up to autonomously control a UAV(if you have the ability to program it properly). It can be connected to say a 3G modem, to provide control and telemetry.

As the op metioned miles out, and im assuming you are looking for out of sight range it would still fall under a commercial uav and therfor need permission and licencing from the Irish Aviation Authority. if kept within visual range and run from a handheld remote control it should be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

While I don't fly my rc planes much these days, I have flown my glider out to the edge of visual range and I was lucky to get it back as orientation becomes very difficult when your aircraft is a speck. I do know some guys who have flown their gliders using fpv goggles but personally speaking, I think they were leaving themselves open to being sued if anything untoward happened, like loss of radio link and subsequent crash damaging property or person.

You can buy a package that is basically an autopilot that will return your aircraft to you if you lose radio link and this should be a must have if you are going to attempt to fly beyond visual range.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I never tried flying my RC plane out of Range.

I used to buy all my GWS planes off a German Site that closed down last Year.. tobad as they where very cheap for Motors and parts for the planes...

I crash once on a Back road and was luck no one was walking up or a car as i would have being F**cked if anything happened.

Advertisement