Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I not buy second games like Battlefield 3? Online/DLC/Premium vouchers?

Options
  • 01-04-2013 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

I have been looking online at second hand games and some come with a warning like the online or premium content pass or voucher has been used although they say they can be bought online for free.

Are there certain multiplayer games that should just be bought new, or is there any easy way to check if I will be losing out buying a particular game second hand?

I am not sure exactly what to Google if applicable...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

fifa13
    battlefield

all ea games online now need a pass to play multiplayer
    some games come with free dlc codes or extra content

all of these codes/vouchers what ever you want to call them are normal used in second hand games
    some people claim on adverts.ie or other websites like it that the codes are unused but the game is still second hand since its coming to you from someone else who bought the game new

if your looking into playing multiplayer for a certain game like bf3 then id suggust just buying it new , unless its cheaper to buy it second hand because you would still have to pay to get the online pass to play multiplayer
    never heard of these being free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    if your looking into playing multiplayer for a certain game like bf3 then id suggust just buying it new , unless its cheaper to buy it second hand because you would still have to pay to get the online pass to play multiplayer
    never heard of these being free

Are not all games cheaper second hand?

Would I be paying for any pass if I just bought it new?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

No. Normally new games have a card with a code that you use to play online. The code can only be used once i.e. the first time you go to play online you will be asked for the code. The chances of someone buying the game and not trying out multiplayer is remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ShaunC wrote: »
    No. Normally new games have a card with a code that you use to play online. The code can only be used once i.e. the first time you go to play online you will be asked for the code. The chances of someone buying the game and not trying out multiplayer is remote.
    Online pad usually about the equivalent of $10. Battlefield premium would definitely be used and costs a lot more from the market place

Thanks for the replies.

What's online pad?

And just so as we're clear, as a general rule of thumb I should buy games I want to play multiplayer from the likes of Amazon rather than second hand?

Is there a way to check if this is necessary, say Super Street Fighter IV Arcade, it probably has no DLC or premium pass etc, so I could buy it second hand, but I am not sure what to google or if there is another way to check?

Unfortunately I already order Halo 3 second hand, I hope it does not cost more to play online than I have already paid. I would also like to order BF3 and COD MW 4.

• Advertisement

dusf wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

What's online pad?

And just so as we're clear, as a general rule of thumb I should buy games I want to play multiplayer from the likes of Amazon rather than second hand?

Is there a way to check if this is necessary, say Super Street Fighter IV Arcade, it probably has no DLC or premium pass etc, so I could buy it second hand, but I am not sure what to google or if there is another way to check?

Unfortunately I already order Halo 3 second hand, I hope it does not cost more to play online than I have already paid. I would also like to order BF3 and COD MW 4.

google is your friend
    like i said ea games tend to have online passes now to play multiplayer
    which cost about 7-10euro
    but you get one free with the game and can only be used once on one account
    just google what games you think need online passes to play
    you would get an answer straight away im sure

example
    type in google " does black ops 2 need online pass to play multiplayer "
    replace blackops 2 with what ever game your looking for and whallaaa
    i think most games dont need online passes but a few companys are leaning towards it now :/

cod games dont need online passes
    stick to amazon
    it gives details if you need a pass to play online or not, if your in store
    ask the person at the counter , they will more then likely know

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    google is your friend
    like i said ea games tend to have online passes now to play multiplayer
    which cost about 7-10euro
    but you get one free with the game and can only be used once on one account
    just google what games you think need online passes to play
    you would get an answer straight away im sure

example
    type in google " does black ops 2 need online pass to play multiplayer "
    replace blackops 2 with what ever game your looking for and whallaaa
    i think most games dont need online passes but a few companys are leaning towards it now :/

cod games dont need online passes
    stick to amazon
    it gives details if you need a pass to play online or not, if your in store
    ask the person at the counter , they will more then likely know

Yeah, that's kind of what I have been doing. I was wondering if there was a list anywhere, I found one but it's from 2011.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-Battlefield-Xbox-360/dp/B005C2Y6OM/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1364931675&sr=1-1

Where on Amazon does it mention the online pass? If you click on used it mentions in from the one Amazon second hand listing, but none of the others do, and if Amazon do not sell it second hand themselves there may not be a warning.

What do you think of Battlefield 3 Premium?

dusf wrote: »
    Yeah, that's kind of what I have been doing. I was wondering if there was a list anywhere, I found one but it's from 2011.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-Battlefield-Xbox-360/dp/B005C2Y6OM/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1364931675&sr=1-1

Where on Amazon does it mention the online pass? If you click on used it mentions in from the one Amazon second hand listing, but none of the others do, and if Amazon do not sell it second hand themselves there may not be a warning.

What do you think of Battlefield 3 Premium?

battlefield premium would most definitly be used if your buying bf3 second hand
    most games online passes would be used if second hand
    youd be taken a risk if you bought second hand if your planning to play online
    just google what game your looking for and if it needs a pass to play online
    cant really help mate
    its very rarely youd get a second hand game with a pass that works

Advertisement