Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a new alcoholic beverage

Options
  • 01-04-2013 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Just wondering does anyone have any good suggestions for a new beer to drink mainly at home if not headin out for the weekend.

I mainly drink heineken but find it too full of gas and i wont go near bud or carlsberg.

Im quite interested in trying some not so poopular european beers but would like some advice on which ones would be good to take a gamble on cheers. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Lots of lovely Irish craft beers around. Go to the offy and give some a try.
    Something for everyone's tastes...and you're buying Irish and supporting local jobs and business which makes it taste better :)
    I tried some Donegal Blondes at the weekend and loved them!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭trickymicky

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Lots of lovely Irish craft beers around. Go to the offy and give some a try.
    Something for everyone's tastes...and you're buying Irish and supporting local jobs and business which makes it taste better :)
    I tried some Donegal Blondes at the weekend and loved them!

Cheers for the reply. What does it taste like would it be yeasty or one of those hoppy beers??

• Registered Users Posts: 32 punky brewster

Cheers for the reply. What does it taste like would it be yeasty or one of those hoppy beers??
    There's a lovely Munich beer called spaten . It's in most off licenses but aldi are actually selling it for around €1.60 a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Just wondering does anyone have any good suggestions for a new beer to drink mainly at home if not headin out for the weekend.

I mainly drink heineken but find it too full of gas and i wont go near bud or carlsberg.

Im quite interested in trying some not so poopular european beers but would like some advice on which ones would be good to take a gamble on cheers. :D
    My beer at home of choice atm is Spitfire - you can get it in most of the big supermarkets I think - I get mine in Lidl. A more hoppy taste than the lagers. Do you count the UK as part of Europe? Otherwise I'd recommend you try Budvar (the original Budweiser).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

There's a lovely Munich beer called spaten . It's in most off licenses but aldi are actually selling it for around €1.60 a bottle.

You'd have to be careful with that stuff. Three will make you drunk and five or six will have you on you ear.

• Advertisement

Reesy wrote: »
    My beer at home of choice atm is Spitfire - you can get it in most of the big supermarkets I think - I get mine in Lidl. A more hoppy taste than the lagers. Do you count the UK as part of Europe? Otherwise I'd recommend you try Budvar (the original Budweiser).

Iv drank it a few times now, its not too bad. i was in a pub recently and they had a german beer schneider weisse on tap. Its a sweet beer but has a nice little kick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mudderagod

Have you tried Dutch Gold, it tastes especially good if you drink it on a park bench and shout random things at passers by...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

+1 on the craft beer side of things, I've no experience with Irish craft beers so can't comment on that but I worked in pubs in London for 3 years and absolutely love real ale. Gorgeous flavours and textures, and nowhere near as gassy as the lagers you get over here. London Pride is a great starting point, classic red ale, may be a bit strong in flavour for a starter though. If you like hoppy beers then look around for some IPA, gorgeous hoppy and citrusy aftertastes, great in the sunny weather. Keep an eye out for lighter ales as a starting point, like Timothy Taylor "Landlord" & Hook Norton "Hooky", both available in superquinn, both fairly easy to drink. Tesco's off licenses usually have a good selection like bishop's finger, spitfire, hobgoblin etc.

If you're not that big into ale but don't want something as gassy as heiniken, have a try of some european pilsners. Efes (Turkish) is one of my favourites at the moment, also great in the sunny weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Craft beers for the win. Tesco quite often have a 5 pint bottles for a tenner offer. Dunnes sometimes too. O'Hara's Pale Ale and Galway Hooker are lovely. I'm a lager drinker mainly but the pale ales really hit the spot. O'Haras do a red ale and a stout too. If you can find it Whitstable Bay Organic Ale is bleedin gorgeous. The Lincoln Inn in Dublin sell it.

Leffe blond is my beer of choice when at home. It's so delicious I'd have it for breakfast :p I've yet to find an Irish beer I like as much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I tried a 500ml bottle of Lech yesterday, it's 5.2% but it's light and i have to say it is a very nice beer from poland. The real deal i think but wait for it....it's 1.89 a bottle but worth it.

Try one bottle sometime, you won't be disappointed. They sell them in cans as well and they are nice but not as nice as the bottles. :)

PS: What's the % on that stuff - Leffe blond, woopsadaisydoodles ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

Leffe blond is my beer of choice when at home. It's so delicious I'd have it for breakfast :p I've yet to find an Irish beer I like as much.

Was just about to post the same. The best freely available lager in my eyes. What time does aldi open?

zenno wrote: »

PS: What's the % on that stuff - Leffe blond, woopsadaisydoodles ?

6.6% :)

6.6% :)

Wow, :eek: that's a strong one for sure. i'll try one if i see one in the shops along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

Dungarvan helvig gold is very nice. Their copper coast red ale is not too bad either. I see they've added a new pale ale called mahon falls which i might try sample this weekend

Hang on a minute, how did i end up in beer guts and receding hairlines thread :confused: man i need sleep, if i'm not careful i'll end up in the lady's lounge.

Umm, beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

Have to disagree about Leffe, tried it before and hated it. Also forgot to add, look out for Sierra Nevada Pale ale, it's an american ale, they know a bit about craft beers too, especially pale ales. Sierra nevada is available in bottles in a lot of pubs, and on draught in the porterhouse. Absolutely beautiful beer but a bit on the pricey side, still well worth it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Tesco's as mentioned above are doing beers from around the world. O'Hara's do some nice beers particularly stouts, Belfast Black is a lovely stout also. British bitters/ales are nice too, try Young's and Fuller's; Fuller's London pride is very good.

A nice lager is Sam Adams Boston lager.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Hackenberg. Its cheap Lager but its nice and smooth.

cheers for the replies guys. That molson Canada beer has got hook line and sinker. I know its only 4%, but ice cold its the nicest beer i dranks in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Have you tried White Gipsy's Belgian Style Ale:

http://www.drinkstore.ie/White-Gypsy-%27Belgian%27-Dubbell-750ML-White-Gypsy-Belgian-Dubbe/

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

cheers for the replies guys. That molson Canada beer has got hook line and sinker. I know its only 4%, but ice cold its the nicest beer i dranks in a long time.

sorry that stuffs awful for me.. real ale is the only way to go, and u dont always have to go too high on %

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nellie1980

Tiger Beer is a nice smooth Asian Beer
    I also like Hoegaarden nice belgian beer

Advertisement