Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing Query!!

Options
  • 01-04-2013 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,

I live in a 4 bed house and am connected to Flo Gas for my heating. It is not on the main Gas line. It is very expensive. So I am considering changing to Oil and getting the gas disconnected. The heating system is a close system. Is it a big job to get it changed and what would the cost be approx.?

Thanks in advance.

Barry.

Comments

The grass isn't always greener, you may want to look at system controls, a more modern gas boiler with gizmo gadgets or improved insulation.

I would look at getting a few quotes and talking to installers on what would suit your individual requirements, sometimes just upgrading heating controls can reduce fuel costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

+1
    What boiler & what controls do you have at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BenG

The boiler is an Ideal mini.
    We use an apt time clock.
    3 Zones.
    It is only used 2 hrs a day and our bill is well over €200 for 2 months, which i find very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

BenG wrote: »
    It is only used 2 hrs a day and our bill is well over €200 for 2 months, which i find very expensive.

That's not expensive for winter months & with the weather being so cold!

With a more modern boiler that has intelligent controls you can save on fuel, also a 3 channel programmer would be a better option than a apt time clock.

Info on your boiler:

The Ideal Mini C24 24kW Combi Boiler is a 'D' rated boiler with an efficiency of 78.2%.
    The Mini C24 24kW Combi Boiler is a Non-Condensing Combi boiler with a maximum power output of 24.3kw that uses Gas as its fuel source.
    Being a 'D' rated boiler it would be worthwhile replacing it with a higher efficiency 'A' rated boiler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

You;d be better upgrading your controls, and thermal insulation, than changing the heating source. Make full use of the SEAI's grants:

http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Better_energy_homes/homeowner/What_Grants_Are_Available/

They're to a fairly good spec, and could get to the source of the problem more effectively...

200 for 2 months, as shane0007 says isn't bad...coldest march on record!

Advertisement