Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux distro for older pc

Options
  • 01-04-2013 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭

Can anyone link me to a suitable version for this desktop

Old Packard bell pc designed for xp

Celeron d proccessor
    512Mb ram

All i need is a stable version for basic web browsing email and word processing

I have rebuilt the pc from older parts but i cant get Ubuntu to install

Xp crawls on the machine

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

You could try one of the versions of Ubuntu with LXDE or XFCE.

Personally I like Xubuntu myself but Lubuntu is nice too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

For super-lightweight-ness I would install ubuntu server, then run:

sudo apt-get install xfce4

or

sudo apt-get install lxde

depending on whether or not you want something LXDE like or XFCE like. Either is good. XFCE is probably more user friendly.

You will need to add nearly everything to that after the fact (e.g. chromium, the "restricted-extras" package for flash player, etc.) but it will yield you a very lightweight distro. 512MB is going to be tight. If you can scrounge another 512 from anywhere you will find it making an enormous difference. This lappy has only 1G in it and I very rarely approach using it all at any one point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

I would try Lubuntu. Used it on a very old laptop I have for a while, and its great. Maybe a little too trimmed-back in some areas but it runs very well indeed on an old system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭niallb

Not all the Celeron D family had PAE, so quite a few distros just won't boot (annoyingly, some will install and then fail to boot from the disk).
    Have a go with JoliOS. It's aimed at older machines, though memory might be a little tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jungleaya

Running lubuntu 11.04 on an old Toshiba Pentium 1.74 with 40G HD and 500Mb RAM

LXDE works really well but you cant call it glamorous, but it doesn't need to be ugly.

Always runs better when you strip away all unused software.

Firefox is the most labour intensive software I use and currently I find Chromium faster, but I think I can get FF to work just as well. If you
    keep your tab count < 5, then you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Thanks to all for the advice

Popped Lubuntu on and all seemed to be going grand but sadly the Cpu is maxing out even with the new Os

Think i might have to get a new Cpu for the pc and see how that works

What model is the PC ? Might have some suitable bits for you.
    Why do you think it is the CPU that is the problem?
    More memory is almost certainly going to help far more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

If it will boot from cd try Puppy Linux, basic but does all the day to day stuff, boots very fast, runs in ram (needs only around 256) and you can save data to hard drive.
    Slax would be another candidate or Porteus.
    If it will boot from usb, then even better they can be installed to usb, I am using Puppy to browse this forum and write this, also Puppy has many variants which look smarter, like MacPup.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

excollier wrote: »
    If it will boot from cd try Puppy Linux, basic but does all the day to day stuff, boots very fast, runs in ram (needs only around 256) and you can save data to hard drive.
    Slax would be another candidate or Porteus.
    If it will boot from usb, then even better they can be installed to usb, I am using Puppy to browse this forum and write this, also Puppy has many variants which look smarter, like MacPup.

+1 for Puppy I have used it quite a bit and it works nicely on old machines.

It also has the benefit of the USB booting which enables you to keep your environment and move to different machines (as well as work on broken laptops)

• Advertisement

I've used puppy a lot on older machines too, and it's a great system.

There is a new release coming out of AntiX (pronounced to rhyme with "antiques") which is a debian version for older machines.
    It will run comfortably on 512MB of RAM, and is easily installed from the live disk if you have about 3GB or more of diskspace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

And also a flashier version of Puppy here:
    http://lxpup.weebly.com/
    A pup with a glossy coat, very swish!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Puppy linux all the way .

Advertisement