Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council Shortage - tank not filling up during the day

Options
  • 01-04-2013 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I'm hoping someone can help!
    We have basically had/little to no water since these water restrictions started. We are in Beaumont. On Sat morn, we were not aware of the restrictions and had showers and gave our two little girls a bath. This emptied the tank upstairs and for all saturday we had no water other that a tiny trickle in the main,the pressure just didn't seem to build. The was nothing coming into the tank until later that day but again this was just a trickle. Roll on two days and this is all we have.. a trickle in the mains during the day but little to nothing getting into the tank. We have checked with neighbours and their tanka are filling although pressure is not great, apparently as we are slightly elevated here pressure can be slow to build. One of the neighbours said that as the tank emptied fully, it will need to be refilled manually to get the system going. We can't use dishwasher, washing machine, no hot water at all and just a trickle in the mains - nothing at all after 7pm! Help!! we have 3 small children, this is not fun and I've heard mention that it could last for 3 weeks.. any advice?? Why is our tank not filling.. my DH has been up there and he said water was coming in but slowly so it's not blocked.. any help or advice greatly appreciated!!
    Edited to add - Been up to the attic and the tanks ARE full - there is an airlock in the system.. we will just need to get a plumber I guess..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Although the cut-off has been going on for a few days, we've managed so far but this morning we had no hot water. I checked the attic tanks and as I suspected, empty which meant I was probably dealing with an air lock.

After trying several different attempts this one eventually worked for me.

Starting with the hot tap in the kitchen area and then in other downstair rooms and eventually rooms upstairs, this is how I managed to restore hot water.

- turn open the hot tap, tightly wrap a cloth around the tap spout and I also wrapped a kitchen glove as well. Slowly turn on the cold tap and leave on for at least 1 minute. The water from the cold tap will enter the hot tap and hopefully push the air causing bloackage out the other end (tanks).
    - turn off both taps and turn on hot tap. You may need to repeat the previous step above more than once.
    - turn on hot tap and allow water to flow gently for a minute or two.
    - Repeat this process for all remaining taps.

We only have mixer taps in our house, if you have separate hot and cold taps you do not need to wrap the spout, simply connect both hot and cold taps with a section of garden hose and following the steps as outlined.

It is a real pain especially on a Bank Hol, so I hope this works for you and you avoid paying any hefty call out charges as well!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SlinkyL

thanks so much for reply - I'm off to try this! will let you know..

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SlinkyL

got it sorted - thx for reply again :-)

Advertisement