Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

excessive CCTV at work

Options
  • 01-04-2013 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi
    Currently have a very real dilemma at work :
    I work in a community centre which also hosts a school and a hostel of which I am the warden. ( there is a 24 hour warden cover on site)
    The board of management have just installed an extensive CCTV system inside and out. As far as I know there has been no registration made, not has everyone who is now being monitored been informed prior to installment. (school children/ parents/ hostel employees)
    Not only that, when I raised concerns in a letter to my manager it was called a ' rant' and ignored. One camera in the hostel for example points straight at one sofa ( the only sofa) where people relax and watch TV, often in pyjamas.
    ( very quiet hostel by the way, more often than not there aren't more than 1 or 2 people in it )
    It bugs me...also that I have been told to not draw attention to cameras ( which are not looking like obvious cameras, could be mistaken for light sensors or something else)
    There have as yet not been any signs installed to let people know there is CCTV.
    It actually makes me feel sick...I have a monitor in my room where I can watch all that is going on ( mostly not going on)
    I was told not to speak ****e ( in those words) and think of my job. Its only for my own safety !!
    I can't afford to lose my job though it would be unfair dismissal no doubt.
    But not letting guests know where the cameras are ???? That seems totally immoral to me , never mind anyone else using the building, like local community groups.
    It amazes me how compliant people are and accept things which are put in front of them without questioning the wrongs and rights.

Would love opinions on this ! I am made to feel as if I were the crazy one here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Have to say that I don't see the problem. Its a reasonable expectation that you will encounter CCTV systems in these type of premises.

So long as the system is used for a genuine purpose i.e Crime prevention and public safety there is no problem. Does not sound like there are excessive cameras even with the one on the sofa.

Should be notices up however explaining that the images are being recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Globetrotter1

yes, as long as people are aware of it ! It also - by law- has to be justified and proportionate. Also the school in the centre has a monitor and can watch anyone in the hostel. ( teachers , school care taker etc)
    I am not against CCTV, but nobody seems to have done any research as to guidelines according to the Data Protection website.
    I am talking about proportion and justification for 1 or 2 specific purposes. And transparency.
    These are legal requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

To the best of my knowledge you need a licence to put CCTV into areas you have outlined, and signage to make persons aware that they are being monitored.

Have a look here:
    http://www.psa.gov.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

johndoe99 wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge you need a licence to put CCTV into areas you have outlined, and signage to make persons aware that they are being monitored.

Have a look here:
    http://www.psa.gov.ie/

You only need to have a licence to be an installer. To the OP you need to contact http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Data-Protection--CCTV/242.htm

They have the power to investigate that the CCTV is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

OP what happened, did you contact the Data Protection Office?

• Advertisement
Advertisement