Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Corsa (bizarre) starting problem

Options
  • 01-04-2013 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I have a 2007 Opel Corsa CDTI (diesel, C generation) which as a problem starting which nobody seems to be able to resolve: when switching the engine on, the starter begins working but the engine takes a lot of time catching on. When it does, it does so in a way that resembles an old hand cranked car, i.e. it seems to need building up momentum until it eventual catches on with considerable vibration.

As this all seems to cause quites a strain on the starter, engine, etc, I end up switching off after a few seconds and restart again, and then it usually fires up normally, although with an initial "lumpy" idle. It never actually fails to start but it often exhibits this problem. It is more noticeable when starting from cold.

I'm actually looking to sell the car but would like to have this sorted out so that I know the car is 100%. Can somebody help so that I can be better prepared in handling this with the shop I take the car to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

mgomes wrote: »
    Hi, I have a 2007 Opel Corsa CDTI (diesel, C generation) which as a problem starting which nobody seems to be able to resolve: when switching the engine on, the starter begins working but the engine takes a lot of time catching on. When it does, it does so in a way that resembles an old hand cranked car, i.e. it seems to need building up momentum until it eventual catches on with considerable vibration.

As this all seems to cause quites a strain on the starter, engine, etc, I end up switching off after a few seconds and restart again, and then it usually fires up normally, although with an initial "lumpy" idle. It never actually fails to start but it often exhibits this problem. It is more noticeable when starting from cold.

I'm actually looking to sell the car but would like to have this sorted out so that I know the car is 100%. Can somebody help so that I can be better prepared in handling this with the shop I take the car to?

There's an uprated starter motor to spin these things faster and make starting easier - if yours doesn't have one and your battery is ok then this is what you might need to look at.

This YouTube clip shows the symptoms..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jfJiFsLBNM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

You say "nobody seems to be able to resolve" Has it been to a garage already. if so, what work, checks have been carried out?

It sounds like you may have air leaking in to the system when it's lying idle. Is serviceing up to date, fuel filter etc? Any faults stored? Is the glow plug system working correctly? Engine temp sensor correct when cold? Is fuel pressure building as per spec?

Any decent independent garage should be able to carry out these checks for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

mgomes wrote: »
    ... but the engine takes a lot of time catching on. When it does, it does so in a way that resembles an old hand cranked car, i.e. it seems to need building up momentum until it eventual catches on with considerable vibration.

As this all seems to cause quites a strain on the starter, engine, etc, I end up switching off after a few seconds and restart again, and then it usually fires up normally, although with an initial "lumpy" idle. ...

I don't understand this, it's a diesel engine so it either starts or it doesn't. A lumpy start could be due to either bad glow plugs or poor compression or air in the system. Then why is it running bad until the engine is switched off and started again? What would happen if the engine wasn't switched off?

Advertisement