Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabling my network, best place to buy ?

Options
  • 31-03-2013 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Short question, and then a bit of a story below

Main question
    Where Can I buy a relatively long length of Cat5e. Unable to crimp and make myself so needs to be prepacked.
    Going from living room to spare room, unable to really measure distance.

Moved into an apartment where the network has been a bit of a struggle. The internet wasnt working well for the first while, and I was restricted to Wireless.

I tried powerline adaptors for the first time this week. Decent enough for gaming I have to say, but there is one major problem.

My network has a NAS attached, and dfrom my main PC when I go to the NAS via windows explorer it takes AGES to open, and sometimes causes WEXplorer to crash. From my old network, the NAS loads as fast as a Hard drive in the PC.

So I did some messing around and it would appear the problem is with the actual Powerline adaptors. They are only 10/100 interfaces.

My network looks like the following

Router with 4 ethernet ports

Xbox 360 using WIFI
    Sky - Ethernet ( this gets plugged out when not in use for on demand)
    NETGEAR STORA - Ethernet
    Powerline Adaptor - Ethernet , connected to my main PC
    Raspberry PI - Ethernet

My old setup was the following, in terms of downloading

Media downloaded on main pc, processed and moved to NAS, played via Raspberry Pi.

The choke in the new apartment is coming when I try move the items to the NAS. I plugged my laptop into the router via ethernet and I could access the NAS no problem, so the issue is with the powerline adaptors.

I'm going back to cabling my main PC to the router, like I had in the old house. Just need to find where I can get a decent length

Comments

Advertisement