Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics question

Options
  • 31-03-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

This is an old mock question on static electricity from a few years ago and it has me completely stumped. There's a diagram but don't know how to post photos so I'll describe it!

Two positive point charges, each of 1.2 μC are situated
    at the vertices A and C of a right-angled isosceles triangle as shown. Calculate the total electric field intensity at B given that│AB│=│BC│= 40 cm. A (Permittivity of free space, Єo = 8.910–12 Fm–1)

Diagram: Triangle ABC where AC is the hypotenuse and B is at the right angle!

I appreciate any help! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I could be totally wrong on this, but this is what I think it would be.

Not attaching for me.

Edit: got it to attach, I would embedd it but its showing huge on my tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

That's the answer! Thanks so much! I have a crap teacher so I don't really understand how you knew which direction the vectors go in? I'd appreciate it if you could help me! :)

No problem.

I'll give you a hand if you could send me the mock paper your doing? Or any others you may have?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

decisions wrote: »
    No problem.

I'll give you a hand if you could send me the mock paper your doing? Or any others you may have?

Yeah sure, I'll send it to you in a PM. Give me a minute! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Could you send it my way too mate? Would appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

I was wondering if anyone hear could tell me how to charge an electroscope negatively?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Kingkumar

Bring a positively charged rod near the cap of the electroscope ( perspex rod rubbed with a woolen cloth) . The negative charges will be attracted towards the rod and so the cap would become negatively charged. Touch the cap with a metal conductor - the positive charge will run to earth while the negative will be held in place by the positively charged rod. Then remove the rod and voila - the negative charges will re-distribute themselves and the electroscope will become negatively charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Kingkumar wrote: »
    Bring a positively charged rod near the cap of the electroscope ( perspex rod rubbed with a woolen cloth) . The negative charges will be attracted towards the rod and so the cap would become negatively charged. Touch the cap with a metal conductor - the positive charge will run to earth while the negative will be held in place by the positively charged rod. Then remove the rod and voila - the negative charges will re-distribute themselves and the electroscope will become negatively charged.

Hmmm...
    Dont know how much i like that...

Advertisement