Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb

Options
  • 31-03-2013 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

We have a lamb born around February I think. About a week ago he started shedding wool in patches. He's a single lamb, therefore there's no twin to share milk with. He seems to be feeding okay. In fact, out of all the lambs, he's the largest. He doesn't seem to have a fever. We've been monitoring him closely since shedding began but he doesn't seem to be scratching against anything either. We have 2 dogs but both the dogs and the sheep are used to each other. None of the other sheep seem to be experiencing any of this. Neither his mother, father nor any of their previous lambs have ever experienced this. He's now one got small patches of fur on his underside, behind and head.
    Can anyone tell me what's causing this and how to prevent it? x x x

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The only two things that come to mind are 'Wool Slip' and Pen-Strep.

Wool Slip is caused by an illness or severe upset that causes a reduction in the strength (a pinch) of the wool at the time it is being formed deep in the hair follicle. It passes unnoticed for a while until the weak point comes above skin level and then, with support lacking, it breaks off easily. A new coat will grow but takes time to come 'above ground'.

Pen-Strep has a reputation for causing wool loss. Personally I'm not convinced it's the reason rather than the reason it was administered was the reason. ('I'm not a pheasant plucker, I'm a ..') ;)

In these cases the skin itself should be normal. If it's not then other causes of hair loss come into play.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

greysides wrote: »
    The only two things that come to mind are 'Wool Slip' and Pen-Strep.

Wool Slip is caused by an illness or severe upset that causes a reduction in the strength (a pinch) of the wool at the time it is being formed deep in the hair follicle. It passes unnoticed for a while until the weak point comes above skin level and then, with support lacking, it breaks off easily. A new coat will grow but takes time to come 'above ground'.

Pen-Strep has a reputation for causing wool loss. Personally I'm not convinced it's the reason rather than the reason it was administered was the reason. ('I'm not a pheasant plucker, I'm a ..') ;)

In these cases the skin itself should be normal. If it's not then other causes of hair loss come into play.

Common enough for ewes or mature sheep to loose wool due to pencillin , but not sure of a lamb that age ...

Advertisement