Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD, Durham or AUC/UCU?

Options
  • 31-03-2013 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello all,

I recently got an (Unconditional) offer from Durham and AUC (Amsterdam university college, joint honors of the University of Amsterdam and the Free University Amsterdam). Expect to be getting the same from Trinity College Dublin and UCU (Utrecht university college, practically the same as AUC but run by Utrecht University).

AUC and UCU are liberal arts bachelors where I will mostly do the social sciences. Durham PPE and TCD PPES/BESS (Philosophy/business, economics, politics & sociology, either way I will drop philosophy/business after the first year).

What I'm aiming for is getting (to some level) an understanding of how the world works, in the sense of the big picture, and hopefully that understanding will enable me to make some change. So the question would be which university you'd think would enable me the best to achieve this understanding.

That's the academic factor. I'm also not sure about studying in my hometown/country. Don't get me wrong, I love Amsterdam, but I think studying abroad might be a very valuable experience to broaden my horizon and get different perspective on loads of things, and I think it could further help my personal development to become more independent etc. Then again being in a village (Durham) with nothing but a university doesn't really sound like I'm getting out of my bubble as well... Maybe someone has some experience with this?

The last factor are the costs, which is important. AUC would come down at about 13000 euro's per year, TCD at about 15000 (expecting to rent a shared apartment privately), and Durham 19000. I'm not hundred percent sure though about these figures (the foreign ones of course), especially because I saw some grants with Durham I'm not sure are meant for foreigners etc... Generally I need the minimal comfort and am good at cutting my expenses, traveling through india on less then 10 bucks a day at the moment for example... So if some one could comment on more realistic costs that would be great.

For fun I just like to have a few beers with some friends, and catch a party from time to time (not a must). Like to stay away from bars with loud cheesy music, same for the parties (some underground scene, talking about Dublin of course, would be great). For sports I want to take up Krav maga or any other fighting/self defense sport for mental & physical strength as well as being able to kick some robbers ass if it might turn ugly...(which is ****ing expensive, but cheaply possible for students in Amsterdam....). Oh and I don't like posh or snobby people at all (I know people will be diverse anywhere of course, just putting it out there). I'm into meditation as well, but you don't really need anything for that (though nice nature, which I figure can be find in Durham helps of course). Oh and if anyone could comment on how it's like moving from a city to a University town like Durham, that would be nice.

I hope I kind of gave an impression of what I expect from my university and home place and that you'll be able to give me some good advice accordingly, because I'm still really unsure myself and could really use some new insights and advise.

Thanks you so much,

Chris.

Advertisement