Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undergrad Advice

Options
  • 31-03-2013 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I've been considering accountancy as a career among other thing the last while and I'm wondering what undergrad would be best.

This business course is something I'm considering putting down on the CAO even though the points are quite high but my one concern is that it's not mentioned on the Chartered Accountants Ireland exemptions list.

The main reason I would be interested in this course over other business degrees is because of the chance to go to the USA and get a degree there too, but I'm wondering is this course completely pointless if you want to go into accountancy?

Any advice appreciated as well, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SmallBlue

Do you definitely want to be an accountant or are you just generally more interested in business? Most colleges e.g. UL and UCC have either an Erasmus year abroad and / or work placement for 9 months, both of which look great on a CV. Personally, I would look more at the elective subjects you get to choose from and make sure there is a good breadth of subjects, particularly if you are not sure that you definitely want a career as an accountant.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭T L

In general: the more the course is geared towards general business, the fewer exemptions you will have from the CAI exams.

Having a quick look at the course you linked, you'd be doing accounting for the first two years. It doesn't mention if that's management or financial accounting though, or both. Both of those are separate subjects for the CAI exams. It also doesn't mention if you'd be studying auditing or tax, another two subjects.

If you do a dedicated accounting degree, you'll get more exemptions, but obviously the subjects will be geared more towards a career in accountancy.

The two things to remember are:
    a) even if you do an accounting course, you'll still generally do enough normal business subjects to have a chance at any normal business job
    b) even if you do a general business course, you can still do the accounting exams while working, which a lot of people do and are very successful with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭thomlin

My advice would be do an accountancy degree that is recognised by the professional bodies and gains the most exemptions.

If you are looking at working in the USA then any of those degrees will be recognised possibly even more than the one you linked but I can't say for sure that this is the case.

I was advised recently that an Irish degree is the equivalent of a masters in the USA again I can't say this is accurate but I would say there is some merit to it.

One other reason I would say do an accountancy degree is that you will have a better understanding of accounting and also have a better idea if its for you or not as many decide it isn't after completing it or during it.

Best of luck either way.

Tom

Advertisement