Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bleed underfloor heating

Options
  • 31-03-2013 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hopefully someone can give me some advice on this.
    I have an underfloor heating system, approx 6 months installed, and I am bleeding the air valves on the manifolds approximately once a week.
    I set The pressure gauge on the ufh system to approx 1.5 bar, but a week later it could have dropped to 0.5 bar, before I bleed the manifolds.

My questions are
    1 could air in the system affect the heating? A few of the bathrooms are cold under foot.
    2 how long should it take to bleed the system completely? Is there any way to "force" the air out?

Thanks

Bb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Get the installer back and tell them to pump the air out which is very simple to do with the correct equipment and then pressure test the system. Should be done at commissioning. If it was done then there is a leak somewhere.
    If you want to do it yourself you can hire a Solarfill pump kit providing you have the correct connections on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭brdboard

freddyuk wrote: »
    Get the installer back and tell them to pump the air out which is very simple to do with the correct equipment and then pressure test the system. Should be done at commissioning. If it was done then there is a leak somewhere.
    If you want to do it yourself you can hire a Solarfill pump kit providing you have the correct connections on the system.

Thanks freddy.
    Should it take long to fully bleed the air if I keep at it myself?
    Am I right in saying that air in the system could be the reason some rooms aren't heating up?
    Regarding a leak in the system, I haven't seen any evidence of a leak so far, where would you expect to see this? There are no wet patches on ceilings or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭oikster

Hopefully not a leak but more than likely your system was not filled/commissioned properly.On your manifold you should have motorized heads on one and clear plastic tubes on the other. If so can you see anything inside these.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭brdboard

oikster wrote: »
    Hopefully not a leak but more than likely your system was not filled/commissioned properly.On your manifold you should have motorized heads on one and clear plastic tubes on the other. If so can you see anything inside these.

Yes there is water in the clear tubes, from what I understand, these are the flow rates in each segment of ufh?
    Also there is what looks like condensation in the tubes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭oikster

brdboard wrote: »
    Yes there is water in the clear tubes, from what I understand, these are the flow rates in each segment of ufh?
    Also there is what looks like condensation in the tubes.

Right, when the underfloor is on can you see any of the flow rate indicators jumping. If you can you have air in that particular loop. Getting it out is simple enough but you would need some fittings compatible with your manifold.Maybe best to get a plumber.

• Advertisement
Advertisement