Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House Networked - What IPTV

• 31-03-2013 1:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

I have just finished setting up the CAT7 (Lexcom) network in the house. The house had been cabled with Lexcom CAT7 but never terminated or setup. Anyway, it's done now.

I have a server & a NAS added to the network. Among other things, the server has iTunes that downloads free tech HD videos for me that I can watch from any room that has a TV.

Sky is being dumped in the next few days & I have a Freesat box that records to the NAS. I also have another Sling Freesat Box that I can access from anywhere in the house & anywhere in the world. But Freesat is not enough for us. There is not a great offering for the kiddies.

So, are there any IPTV providers that people can suggest please? Preferably free providers, but MUST be legal? I have looked at the Irish offerings & am not impressed.

Rgds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

RTE Jr is a dedicated DVB-T channel on Saorview.

Perhaps think of looking a VU+ receiver which has useful free plugins that allow access to free IPTV services and On demand RTE Player/BBC Iplayer./ITV Player/4OD and others without geoblocking restrictions. Vu+ receivers also allow streaming to devices etc.

Look in foreign satellite forum for the large thread on these boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thanks STB. That is very helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Theres lots of iptv foreign providers available, not sure how legal they are to watch here and i dont know how they get around the ip restrictions, but as far as i have seen they work well here. People mainly get them for sport, but i dont know what other content is available. You can get sky just via skygo as far as i am aware too (Think its called sky ticket?)

The Scandinavian and middle east IPTV providers ive seen working all seem to broadcast in English, but with their native language subtitles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 evastel

No need for SKY box check out www.eurotvdirect.com... That will expain a lot... enjoy let me know how you get on..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Which Freesat boxes records over the network please?

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote: »
    Which Freesat boxes records over the network please?

I have 2 Freesat receivers

1. TechniSat SkyStar USB HD DVB-S2 Digital Satellite USB Box for PC with PVR Functionality. This records directly to the NAS. You can see the spec here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003ZUXXVA/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. I also have the SlingLoaded EchoStar HDS-600RS. This has it's own HDD, but I can access this from any room in the house, or from anywhere in the world, once I have an internet connection. The spec for this is at http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004S9OT92/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I woudl look at getting some Tuner cards for your server and using DVBlink from DVBlogic to create a TV Server that can also stream to your tablets, laptops etc. It also does centralised PVR functionality.

Two weeks trial mode also. Only proviso is its pretty processor intensive so youd want an i5 or greater

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vishak allampathur

hi I would like to buy an iptv service which is available in india, so i can watch indian channels at low cost at here in ireland,I know iptv is restricted in specific areas only, so i want to know if i buy iptv package from india and how can i use in ireland there is any way whether i can change my existing ip in ireland to indian ip is possible please advice me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

hi I would like to buy an iptv service which is available in india, so i can watch indian channels at low cost at here in ireland,I know iptv is restricted in specific areas only, so i want to know if i buy iptv package from india and how can i use in ireland there is any way whether i can change my existing ip in ireland to indian ip is possible please advice me

just becarefull what you ask here my friend, certain subjects like that are not really allowed. [MOD EDIT: Deleted]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

PISH....Cat7 is soooooo 2010 lad!, yer behind the times.....shoulda got with a 1000Mhz Cat7a setup! ;)

Dummy wrote: »
    Hiya,

I have just finished setting up the CAT7 (Lexcom) network in the house. The house had been cabled with Lexcom CAT7 but never terminated or setup. Anyway, it's done now.

I have a server & a NAS added to the network. Among other things, the server has iTunes that downloads free tech HD videos for me that I can watch from any room that has a TV.

Sky is being dumped in the next few days & I have a Freesat box that records to the NAS. I also have another Sling Freesat Box that I can access from anywhere in the house & anywhere in the world. But Freesat is not enough for us. There is not a great offering for the kiddies.

So, are there any IPTV providers that people can suggest please? Preferably free providers, but MUST be legal? I have looked at the Irish offerings & am not impressed.

Rgds.

• Advertisement

Thanks Richard but it was in the house already - just never implemented.

It'll do for my very basic needs - internet video, sound, telephone, TV & CCTV distribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Dummy wrote: »
    I have 2 1 Freesat receivers

I also have the SlingLoaded EchoStar HDS-600RS. This has it's own HDD, but I can access this from any room in the house, or from anywhere in the world, once I have an internet connection. The spec for this is at http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004S9OT92/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fixed!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Okay remember that discussing how to circumvent restrictions on geo-blocking is not allowed here. Similarly I'm not sure how legal that STB which is linked to is although it does seem to be aimed at ex-pats rather than residents.

OP there are two different categories of IPTV providers really. The first category are those who are employing it over a closed network pretty much as a cable TV substitute. Most of those are gone out of business at this stage. Magnet is still going but appears to be concentrating on business customers these days.

Then there are IPTV providers operating over the open internet. Of these the only two of interest are firstly Sky who operate Sky Go which is essentially a cut down version of their DBS service which only carries the channels actually operated by Sky plus a few others. It is the only legal IPTV provider which carries the Sky channels however. Then there is AerTV which carries the Irish channels only + you can pay for the BBC channels. The legality of the basis on which it carries the Irish channels has been questioned by the fact that RTE have (http://www.rte.ie/news/business/technology/2013/0405/379937-television-streaming-challenge/) openly said that they have not given permission to Magnet for it to do so (remembering that by them doing so they are depriving RTÉ of ad revenue from its RTÉ.ie site) but as yet they don't seem to have taken any proceedings against them.

Fixed!

Ronnie, could you explain please, what exactly is fixed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Just meant fixed your post, only the Echostar is an actual Freesat branded receiver.

Advertisement