Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacred Cows

Options
  • 31-03-2013 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

albums that are deemed above criticism,but in reality are a chore to listen to....
    1.Daydream Nation by SONIC YOUTH
    `Teenage Riot' is brilliant.What follows is an hour of squalling,tuneless mediocrity.

2.Ladies and Gentlemen,We Are Floating In Space by SPIRITUALIZED

Sporadically great,but i defy anyone not to zone out before its 70 minutes are up.

Which `Sacred Cow' albums do you think need taking down a peg or two?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

albums that are deemed above criticism,but in reality are a chore to listen to....
    1.Daydream Nation by SONIC YOUTH
    `Teenage Riot' is brilliant.What follows is an hour of squalling,tuneless mediocrity.

2.Ladies and Gentlemen,We Are Floating In Space by SPIRITUALIZED

Sporadically great,but i defy anyone not to zone out before its 70 minutes are up.

Which `Sacred Cow' albums do you think need taking down a peg or two?

Wont comment on SY daydream nation but you are way off the mark with Ladies and Gentlemen,We Are Floating In Space.The only track i might get bored with is Cop Shoot Cop which does go on a bit towards the end .apart from that the album is a complete and utter masterpiece and widely and rightly regarded as so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

With Daydream Nation it's not about the songs, it's about the use of dissonance and pushing the possibilities that can be achieved with guitars to the limit. More impressive is the band's ability to combine noise and melody and make it work wonders. Along with Dinosaur Jr, The Jesus and Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine in the late 80's they added a new, noisier dimension to indie music and dragged it into the 90's.

I'm actually not too fond of Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, I want to like it but just can't. I love what Jason Pierce did in Spacemen 3 with Pete Kember, they were a thrilling, psychedelic mind**** of a band. Spiritulized has never really grabbed my attention in the same way.

Also, I just don't get why In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel is so revered. There were so many great lo-fi indie bands in the 90's like Guided By Voices and Sebadoh who released far better material than them. Anytime I've attempted to get into it it has never managed to hold my attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

In total agreement with your comments on IN THE AEROPLANE OVER THE SEA.God...that voice.I`m all for innovation and dissonance in guitar music,at least albums like PSYCHOCANDY and YOU`RE LIVING ALL OVER ME married it to great melodies.

Can never understand the praise for New Order`s TECHNIQUE.They were probably the best singles band of the 80`s and are one of my favourite bands,but they never made a classic album.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 stone_cutter

sgt peppers , not even the best beatles album IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

sgt peppers , not even the best beatles album IMO
    I think you`re right.Some really great songs,but i think it`s more lauded for its sonic envelope pushing rather than the consistency of the tunes.2 or 3 real clunkers in the middle of the album,although A DAY IN THE LIFE is surely the greatest album closer of all time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement