Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare Statement..

Options
  • 31-03-2013 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to get my first grant next year so I'm starting to gather any forms I can right now in advance.

I notice there's a social welfare form that needs filling out.

I receieve BTEA currently so I'd need one for myself.

My dad is also unemployed, but I'm just wondering would I be able to get a form filled out for him too if he gives me his PPS number, or will he have to get it filled out himself in the social welfare office?

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Here is the 2012 form

http://www.cdvec.ie/getattachment/Student-Supports/Grants/Social-Welfare-Statement-2012.pdf.aspx

I'd say once he fills it in you could bring both down to Social welfare

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Good plan to start assembling those documents early - they can take ages to get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

Thanks guys, does anyone know how long the social welfare statement takes to be delivered when you request it online?

Even though i now know you need the printed off version. At least the one I requested online will give me the figures..

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

I think they are planning on having all of these things integrated so you may no longer have to provide social welfare statements/p21s/p60s etc.

They are supposedly working with the dept. of social protection and the revenue on this!

However, you never know with SUSI so it is a good idea to have all these things in order anyway :)

I just noticed that on section B of the social welfare statement it asks has the person made an application for Back To Education Allowance?

http://www.cdvec.ie/getattachment/Student-Supports/Grants/Social-Welfare-Statement-2012.pdf.aspx

I'm just wondering, can I apply for BTEA prior to being offered a course place?

Is there a deadline that the social welfare need proof of an offer for a course, I.e 20 days from the date of application for BTEA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

Im filling up my susi form. My boyfriend is getting the btea in September and we both got it for 2012, does anyone know if this will hinder me getting the grant?

Im filling up my susi form. My boyfriend is getting the btea in September and we both got it for 2012, does anyone know if this will hinder me getting the grant?

You can only get a fee grant if you are receiving BTEA. You can't receive both a maintenance grant and BTEA. It's one or the other. They'll gay your College fees but you won't get payments throughout the year.

In terms of if you mean will it effect you getting a fee grant, the money you received from the social welfare is counted in the income limits.

I.E. its considered in calculating if you and your boyfriend earn more than the income limits.

You can only get a fee grant if you are receiving BTEA. You can't receive both a maintenance grant and BTEA. It's one or the other. They'll gay your College fees but you won't get payments throughout the year.

In terms of if you mean will it effect you getting a fee grant, the money you received from the social welfare is counted in the income limits.

I.E. its considered in calculating if you and your boyfriend earn more than the income limits.

I'm not sure what you mean by the first bit. I presumed I wouldn't get the BTEA in September, that's why I am applying for SUSI grant.. is that what you mean? I'm aware of that, it's my boyfriend's position I was wondering about.

I'm not sure what you mean by the first bit. I presumed I wouldn't get the BTEA in September, that's why I am applying for SUSI grant.. is that what you mean? I'm aware of that, it's my boyfriend's position I was wondering about.

If you are granted BTEA you cant receieve a maintenance grant (money every couple of months for costs of living etc.) but you can get a fee grant (your course fees paid for you).

If you are refused BTEA you can receieve both a fee grant and a maintenance grant.

If you and you're boyfriend live together etc. then his earnings will be taken into consideration for your grant, as far as I'm aware. Although maybe you have to be married for his earnings to be considered. Someone more knowledgeable than me could clear that up.

However, if both of your income is solely the BTEA I would assume you would both meet the income levels required to receive a fee grant.

You may get more info on - www.studentfinance.ie

If you are granted BTEA you cant receieve a maintenance grant (money every couple of months for costs of living etc.) but you can get a fee grant (your course fees paid for you).

If you are refused BTEA you can receieve both a fee grant and a maintenance grant.

If you and you're boyfriend live together etc. then his earnings will be taken into consideration for your grant, as far as I'm aware. Although maybe you have to be married for his earnings to be considered. Someone more knowledgeable than me could clear that up.

However, if both of your income is solely the BTEA I would assume you would both meet the income levels required to receive a fee grant.

You may get more info on - www.studentfinance.ie

So, are you saying that I can get BTEA OR a maintenance grant? I don't think so. I think the fact we're cohabiting will be the nail in the coffin. Both our income is BTEA and jobseekers and a small bit of part-time work. Yea studentfinance is crap, there's nothing on it.

• Advertisement

So, are you saying that I can get BTEA OR a maintenance grant? I don't think so. I think the fact we're cohabiting will be the nail in the coffin. Both our income is BTEA and jobseekers and a small bit of part-time work. Yea studentfinance is crap, there's nothing on it.

If you meet the requirements, yes you can get a grant or BTEA but not both.

You can get BTEA and a FEE grant.

Or a Maintenance grant and a fee grant.

I think for BTEA you need to be on the social welfare for more than 9 months and over the age of 21.

For a grant you just need to be under the income limits. As i said, if you and your boyfriends main source of income is social welfare, you should be under the income limits.

If you meet the requirements, yes you can get a grant or BTEA but not both.

You can get BTEA and a FEE grant.

Or a Maintenance grant and a fee grant.

I think for BTEA you need to be on the social welfare for more than 9 months and over the age of 21.

For a grant you just need to be under the income limits. As i said, if you and your boyfriends main source of income is social welfare, you should be under the income limits.

OK I know all this already ..I think we're on a diff page ..I'm enquiring about postgrad grants and such. I know I can't get BTEA for that. Thanks though, still none the wiser really about postgrad stuff :)

OK I know all this already ..I think we're on a diff page ..I'm enquiring about postgrad grants and such. I know I can't get BTEA for that. Thanks though, still none the wiser really about postgrad stuff :)

You never mentioned it was for postgraduate...

You never mentioned it was for postgraduate...

I know, that's why I just said we're on a different page! Thanks for all the info.

This explains how grants for postgrads work

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/postgraduate_student_grant.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Hi Moonandstars,

Your boyfriend’s details should only be included, if you're co-habiting for more than five years together or three if you have children together.

When you apply for the grant then all your 2012 information has to be included. Students attending post grad courses will only receive a maximum of €2,000 towards the student contribution. We do not award maintenance or fees for this level of education.

I hope this information helps. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further queries.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

SuSi: Reps wrote: »

Students attending post grad courses will only receive a maximum of €2,000 towards the student contribution. We do not award maintenance or fees for this level of education

Actually this is not fully correct

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/postgraduate_student_grant.html

There are 2 ways postgraduates may qualify for assistance under the Student Grant Scheme. They may either:

1.Get a new flat rate fee contribution of €2,000, if they pass the fee contribution means test – see below

Or

2.Get all their tuition fees paid and essential field trips (up to €6,270), if they meet the qualifying conditions for the special rate of grant for disadvantaged students –

Terry Pratchet

Actually this is not fully correct

There are 2 ways postgraduates may qualify for assistance under the Student Grant Scheme. They may either:

1.Get a new flat rate fee contribution of €2,000, if they pass the fee contribution means test – see below

Or

2.Get all their tuition fees paid and essential field trips (up to €6,270), if they meet the qualifying conditions for the special rate of grant for disadvantaged students –
    Jesus I hope you are right Mango, I got a real fright there when she said that.. I'd have to pay 4k towards costs? Actually no a friend of mine, he got it all paid for I think. What about the cohabiting thing? Should I leave it out? We have been cohabiting for 2.5 years.

Hi Moonandstars,

Your boyfriend’s details should only be included, if you're co-habiting for more than five years together or three if you have children together.

When you apply for the grant then all your 2012 information has to be included. Students attending post grad courses will only receive a maximum of €2,000 towards the student contribution. We do not award maintenance or fees for this level of education.

I hope this information helps. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further queries.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Do you work in SUSI?

• Advertisement

Do you work in SUSI?

Hi Moonandstars,

Yes I do work for SuSi. There is a very minimal amount of students who receive the special rate of the grant for the post grad education level.

In order to receive this you must be earning under €22,703 from the previous financial year and be in receipt of a Social Welfare payment that is mentioned in schedule 2 of the regulations and guidelines. You can find that schedule through the following link: http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1368781121/SI_159_of_2013_Student_Grant_Scheme_2013_Final.pdf

As you don't meet the requirements for the co-habiting rule then I would not include your boyfriend’s details on your application.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Hi Moonandstars,

Yes I do work for SuSi. There is a very minimal amount of students who receive the special rate of the grant for the post grad education level.

In order to receive this you must be earning under €22,703 from the previous financial year and be in receipt of a Social Welfare payment that is mentioned in schedule 2 of the regulations and guidelines. You can find that schedule through the following link: http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1368781121/SI_159_of_2013_Student_Grant_Scheme_2013_Final.pdf

As you don't meet the requirements for the co-habiting rule then I would not include your boyfriend’s details on your application.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

I am def under the 22,000 limit but i was getting the BTEA ..

Hi Moonandstars,

If you follow the link you will see the pre-approved list of the payments, BTEA is on the approved list.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Advertisement