Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster backline future

Options
  • 31-03-2013 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

the Future of Leinster Backs:
    Scrum half:
    Boss-was never meant to be a starter(32)
    Reddan- out for remainder of season(also 32)
    Cooney-looks decent,needs to be given a chance as Boss isn't at a level
    McGrath-needs another year at 20's, hopefully becomes an option next season
    Out Half:
    Madigan-improving general play, creativity might prove enough to offset our other departures in a "moneyball" kinda way
    Jimmy Goperth- looks decent signing,back up/alternative style to Madigan
    Noel Reid- struggles when asked to step up to Rabo, has looked good in "A" games
    Cathal Marsh- looked exciting at schools level, hasn't really got a chance at "A" level yet
    Centre:
    D'Arcy-couple more seasons
    BOD-Hopefully one more year
    McFadden-best of the rest,is he a wing or a centre these days?
    Goodman- workmanlike, decent honest player, don't think he is suited to much more than mid/low level rabo games
    EOM- bright debut season, injuries have disrupted progress, looks physically small,good lines and hands hopefully will show signs he is up to it
    Macken- young and improving, worryingly he doesn't look brave in defence really hope i am wrong in this and he is just a bit lost positionally
    Tom Daly-just 20's shows signs of promise
    Tom Farrell-Dalys 20's partner,injured for 6 nations but looked promising
    Wing/Fullback
    Dave Kearney-improving but unspectacular.Quality player who i rate highly but is he an out and out finisher?
    Rob Kearney-Brilliant fullback in the past, has he been more than "solid" in past season?unsure he will offer a cutting edge
    Luke Fitzgerald- star quality,can provide the cutting edge if he regains fitness.25 and on his 3rd serious injury.not looking good. try scoring rate of 26 in 108 games is pretty decent.

academy: Andrew Boyle, Sam Coughlan Murray, Hudson, Sherlock
    Boyle and Hudson look decent but unproven, SCM and Sherlock might be off

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

This need a thread of its own?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

trouttrout wrote: »
    This need a thread of its own?

maybe not but just wondering what people think we have for next season. Where is the cutting edge going to come from in what is left.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

We don't really need this every time one team has a bad game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Goodman- workmanlike, decent honest player, don't think he is suited to much more than mid/low level rabo games

I seem to remember him being one of our better players when we ran Clermont close in the SMM...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

maybe not but just wondering what people think we have for next season. Where is the cutting edge going to come from in what is left.

We have a big problem in the back 3 and if BOD retires a big problem at centre. I'm worried.

• Advertisement

We have= a big problem in the back 3 and if BOD retires a big problem at centre. I'm worried.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

you cant take one performance/result in a vacuum.

adjust your expectations, dont expect us to be competing for the Heineken Cup in the near future.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I imagine you'll bring in a NIQ back.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Meh, for me, the reason we didn't look dangerous last night was because we were missing Sexton. Hopefully Gopperth will be able to add some decent link work in while Madigan works on that. Tad bit of an overreaction imo. Another key is to hope Fitzy can remain injury free.

.ak wrote: »
    Tad bit of an overreaction imo.

I dunno. We've had two games at home against the top two teams in the league and looked second best in both and struggled to create any real try scoring chances in either. Both teams were infringing happy which was part of the reason but Leinster are struggling a lot more this season then last season when the top players are missing. And that'll only get worse next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Rabble, Rabble, Rabble :D

Do I regret this being my 1000 post, I think it really captures me actually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I didn't think the back 3 was the problem last night at all. I thought they looked pretty good especially considering Nacewa had to be shifted and we ended up with a real make-shift center partnership. If we had D'Arcy on the pitch there wouldn't have been so much of an issue with that.

I do think we lack guys who can kick out of hand across the backline. And there were just too many kicks finding turf last night. So I suppose in terms of positioning our back 3 are a little bit of a problem.

I'm not so worried though. We need to add a little bit of quality out wide, but until then we have tons of young local talent and I'll enjoy watching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Sherlock left the academy lasts summer, playing ail with skerries.
    Reid's future is at 12 or 15.
    Collie o'shea and Jordan Coughlan are two 12's and I think long term Coughlan may have the bulk we are crying out for in our back line. Hudson is a class act if he can stay fit, Adam Byrne and billy dardis look like two great prospects also.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

If we look at where we stand for next season a fully available squad could look like (worst case if BOD & Darce retire):

Healy
    Strauss
    Ross
    Roux
    McCarthy
    Locky
    SOB
    Heaslip

Reddan
    Madigan
    Fitzy
    McFadden
    EOM
    D Kearney/SA signing
    R Kearney

Cronin
    McGrath
    Bent
    Cullen/Toner
    Jenno/Murphy
    Boss
    Gopperth
    SA signing/D Kearney

For the Rabo during internationals we could end up with something like:

McGrath
    Dundon
    Bent/Moore
    Cullen
    Roux
    Ruddock
    Ryan
    Murphy

Boss
    Gopperth
    Hudson
    Goodman
    EOM/Macken
    D Kearney
    SA signing

Tracy (??)
    O'Connell
    Moore/Furlong
    Beirne
    Marshall
    Cooney
    Reid
    Macken/EOM

Any injuries at all and we could genuinely be in trouble in the outside backs department particularly. I think we need another signing somewhere in there.

What we also need is some consistency in selections. We lose so many to the national set-up and have been shuffling the deck so much because of that and injuries that we're having a hard time implementing a coherent game plan. When we get some consistency in selection we've been able to put in decent runs and get results. We've struggled when re-introducing players into the mix.

We are starting to struggle to produce high quality young backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

molloyjh wrote: »
    If we look at where we stand for next season a fully available squad could look like (worst case if BOD & Darce retire):

Healy
    Strauss
    Ross
    Roux
    McCarthy
    Locky
    SOB
    Heaslip

Reddan
    Madigan
    Fitzy
    McFadden
    EOM
    D Kearney/SA signing
    R Kearney

Cronin
    McGrath
    Bent
    Cullen/Toner
    Jenno/Murphy
    Boss
    Gopperth
    SA signing/D Kearney

For the Rabo during internationals we could end up with something like:

McGrath
    Dundon
    Bent/Moore
    Cullen
    Roux
    Ruddock
    Ryan
    Murphy

Boss
    Gopperth
    Hudson
    Goodman
    EOM/Macken
    D Kearney
    SA signing

Tracy (??)
    O'Connell
    Moore/Furlong
    Beirne
    Marshall
    Cooney
    Reid
    Macken/EOM

Any injuries at all and we could genuinely be in trouble in the outside backs department particularly. I think we need another signing somewhere in there.

What we also need is some consistency in selections. We lose so many to the national set-up and have been shuffling the deck so much because of that and injuries that we're having a hard time implementing a coherent game plan. When we get some consistency in selection we've been able to put in decent runs and get results. We've struggled when re-introducing players into the mix.

that first team would struggle to get out of the group stages

the second would struggle in the Rabo

We desperately need D'Arcy,BOD and a top quality Foreign signing to do anything next year.

What have we got younger? Dardis is hyped but unlikely to make an impact next year.
    Adam Byrne,youngest ever leinster player-hopefully has the talent to make an impact next year.
    Tom Daly looks promising but not a world beater yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

Where's adam byrne disappeared to? Is he still playing rugby? Could be involved nxt year maybe

Where's adam byrne disappeared to? Is he still playing rugby? Could be involved nxt year maybe

broke his ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Injured and he's still only a teenager.

Will be a few more years before he gets regular games with Leinster. Hopefully he'll get some gametime next season though.

broke his ankle.

Yea but wasn't that back in january?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Yea but wasn't that back in january?
    He is apparently training but not fit yet. He'll feature in the JRWC in June anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

A lot of hype about a guy who I'm sure many of us haven't even seen play and hadn't even heard of a year ago. I missed his cameo against Ulster over christmas, did he do anything of note?

I think it was against connacht,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

He looked quick and was able to evade a couple of tacklers with tricky footwork.

That's all I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

shuffol wrote: »
    A lot of hype about a guy who I'm sure many of us haven't even seen play and hadn't even heard of a year ago. I missed his cameo against Ulster over christmas, did he do anything of note?

There's a lot of hype precisely because nobody had heard of him a year ago. He comes from nowhere (not even in academy) to bench for the senior team in two interpros. Didnt do anything against Ulster but came on against Connacht and beat 3 men with his first touch! Had good cameos for the A team too. Wouldn't put too much faith in him but an exciting prospect

Byrne isn't even 19 yet. Patience on him. Exciting because he has everything you look for in a back.

Byrne isn't even 19 yet. Patience on him. Exciting because he has everything you look for in a back.

I heard he's massive too, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Not massive but naturally a big, athletic guy. He's about 6'2 and would be pushing 90kg anyway. I wouldn't want to see him put on much more though and lose any of his natural pace.

6'2, 14 stone i'd estimate.

Not a small guy anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Can't wait to see a Madigan-McGrath halfback partnership anyway

Advertisement