Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Comic Con - August 10-11, 2013

Options
  • 30-03-2013 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi all,

Dublin Comic Con will be happening this August in the National Show Center in Swords, Co. Dublin. There will be a lot of great Irish comic artists at the convention as well as several coming over from Europe and the US as well as special guests like Charlie Adlard of The Walking dead. We will also have a major focus on games, movies and tv programs with everything from replicas and original costumes and props on display to opportunities to meet actors, SFX guests, participate in workshops etc.
    *Please note this is not associated with Dublin City Comic Con which has previously run

There is still a lot more information to be released as the event gets closer but in the mean time check out our links below to keep up to date.
    http://www.facebook.com/comiccondublin
    www.dublincomiccon.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

To be fair lads. A different name wouldn't have gone astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭kwalsh000

This has been said before (by a small few when we first announced it last year), but to be fair (and I am not trying to be smart here) it has been a good while since the last Dublin CITY Comic Con has been held and Dublin Comic Con was not being used by anyone else, as well as that conveys exactly what our event will be (the term Comic Con now is used to describe an event that covers a wide genre from Comics to Movies)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have to say, if you're needing to point to the presence or absence of the word "City" in your con title, you've chosen your name poorly. I'm also intrigued as to why the name Dublin Comic Con was chosen when you've had to immediately point out in your film forum thread that you have a major focus on non-comic media.

It's also worth noting that in the context of bigger conventions like San Diego Comic Con, the convention names would be trademarked and a new con with a confusingly similar name like the one your convention is using would quite possibly be facing cease-and-desist requests and/or legal actionif you carried on. You're probably alright for the time being, since the Dublin City Comic Con seems to have become the Dublin International Comic Expo, but that's the opinion of Some Guy On The Internet rather than A Practicing Lawyer.

Even Dublin Film & Comic Con (borrowing inspiration from London Film & Comic Con) would be less confusing, while also being a better fit for your actual content.

Having said that, we're all talking about your choice of name because there isn't really a great deal else to discuss so far. I will say that your aim to keep ticket cost low is laudable, and I hope you can stick to it. When do you plan to announce your guest lineup in full? Are you likely to have any film preview screenings?

I can understand where you are coming from Fysh but the reasoning for disclaimer above is that this forum has previously had threads on Dublin City Comic Con so those who frequent this forum would have knowledge of previous conventions as opposed to some of those who might frequent the Film forum who might not have been to any convention over here and may not realize that the term Comic Con now a days covers a wider genre than when it was first used.

We do in fact have a major focus on non comic media (as is noted by having up an extremely expensive and varied collection of costumes and props on display) but we are not limiting ourselves to just that and will have a wide selection of Comic artists and independent Comic books present too (hence why it is appropriate to post in this forum).

That C&D aspect has already been looked into and everything is above board and legal (if not then the likes of Wales Comic Con, Glasgow Comic Con, Malta Comic Con, Comic Con India, Oz Comic Con etc would not be in existence) and while SOME may, for some strange reason, confuse DICE with DCC, it is not everyone and the name Dublin Comic Con is linked to/and known as Dublin Comic Con especially in the more international sense with artists from the US and Europe asking us if they can attend and ticket inquiries and groups from everywhere from Belgium to the US to Australia wanting to attend.

I am not here to argue about our name as Dublin Comic Con as we are not going to change it, simple as that.

You may think its laudable, but with respect, we have been planning this since January of 2012 and want to make this a show that everyone can enjoy and attend and if that means keeping ticket prices as low as we feasibly can, then so be it.

Whether or not they want to, it is their choice if they have an issue with something as petty as the name we picked, but the option is there for people, I am just here to let people know.

As time gets closer we will be announcing more guests other than the three already known, same goes for other features of the convention, as we don't want to ruin most of the surprises for people before the convention happens....that would be no fun for people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

It's gotten to the stage that the organisers of D.I.C.E. had to release an announcement to clarify to fans AND comic professionals that they're in no way related to Dublin Comic Con.... So it's actively effecting their hosting

• Advertisement

As have we released an announcement as well to clarify the situation (in fact the only hassle we have had with the name Dublin Comic Con has been this thread and the subsequent announcement by D.I.C.E). No one has contacted us inquiring as to whether or not we are D.I.C.E. nor has there been any posts on our FB page asking us if we are related to D.I.C.E or the previous Dublin City Comic Con, and with respect, unless you are John, you do not know how or if it is actively affecting them other than having people ask him a few questions.

If people are searching for Dublin Comic Con then they are looking for Dublin Comic Con (and in fairness we are very distinct from D.I.C.E in terms of our logos, website address and even promotional video) just as if someone is searching for D.I.C.E then they are specifically looking for D.I.C.E (and we would gladly point them in John's direction if they came to us first...but that has yet to happen)

In fact here :

Hi Everyone,

Apparently there has been some confusion doing the rounds lately (apart from a few clarifications arising from the previously run Dublin CITY Comic Con when we first launched Dublin Comic Con this is the first we have heard of it) relating to Dublin Comic Con and D.I.C.E

There is no connection between Dublin Comic Con and D.I.C.E (Dublin International Comic Expo) or Dublin CITY Comic Con which has not ran for several years.
    Dublin Comic Con will be running in a similar vein as other Comic Cons around the world (which involves covering all range of genres from movies and T.V shows to comics and games) as opposed to D.I.C.E which is just Comic orientated.

All of our guests (actors, SFX, comic) and those inquiring about our convention either send or receive correspondence from our email address (info@dublincomiccon.com) and are directed to our website (www.dublincomiccon.com) or Facebook page for further information so there should be no confusion on our end as we distinctly identify ourselves.

We are fans ourselves first and foremost and we want to see the convention scene in Ireland grow along with the co operation between groups and events. We will be having other events organizers such as Arcade Con and Dublin Mini Maker Faire at Dublin Comic Con to promote their own unique events as well as groups such as the 501st Ireland and The RPF present to spread the word of who they are and what they do.

We have attended D.I.C.E, Arcade Con, Eirtakon and many other events in the past (in our costumes as part of Predators Ireland) and wish them all the best with their future events. As always, if we can help any group or other convention in any way we can, then do not hesitate to ask.

All the best
    Dublin Comic Con

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

kwalsh000 wrote: »
    You may think its laudable, but with respect, we have been planning this since January of 2012 and want to make this a show that everyone can enjoy and attend and if that means keeping ticket prices as low as we feasibly can, then so be it.

Whether or not they want to, it is their choice if they have an issue with something as petty as the name we picked, but the option is there for people, I am just here to let people know.

As time gets closer we will be announcing more guests other than the three already known, same goes for other features of the convention, as we don't want to ruin most of the surprises for people before the convention happens....that would be no fun for people.

I think you may have taken my comment about price the wrong way - I genuinely do think it's a great idea to keep prices low, and I'm wholeheartedly in support of any convention that works to keep prices low, because it increases the likelihood of attracting a wide audience - and we all win if wider audiences are engaging with our hobbies.

It's relatively early days yet, so I understand wanting to release guest information on a gradual basis to build excitement (it's what most conventions do these days) - I'm just wondering when the full guest list might be available, since it's in the middle of summer and so may require suitable planning of summer holidays. I understand if your PR schedule makes it an awkward question to answer.

Well, I do apologize if that is what you meant, we are glad others are thinking the same as us. We are in this to make it the best convention we can and not to just make a quick buck and I hope people realize that. We want to help bring a wider audience into our hobbies and keep the interest growing and in the end we will all benefit.

We hope with in the next month or so to have released more information (and still have surprises for people) but rest assured, we will release what we can, when we can as we know people have to plan well in advance.

Any other questions, feel free to ask and I will try my best to answer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TheBigBang

OK, my original reply completely disappeared.

So here it goes again,

Firstly, I'm here in this thread as a favor to Karl who asked me to post,

Secondly, since we put out our statement regarding D.I.C.E. and Dublin Comic Con I've been conversing with karl all day, and while we don't agree on most things regarding this what we can agree on is that we want all the con atendees to enjoy themselves.

D.I.C.E. and Dublin Comic Con will be very different events, but, in our experiance and although Karl doesen't agree with this, we feel that there's been enough confusion to warrant releasing the statement we did. In no way on either side has malice been intended but before I address these points, here's the statement we released today.

Dear all,

Just in relation to some confusion that's been doing the rounds lately both with the general public and Comic Professionals.

We are in no way associated with the dublin comic con event being organized by the Predator Ireland costuming group.

Yes we used to run an event called Dublin City Comic Con for 4 years, but that was before D.I.C.E. (Dublin International Comics Expo)

And while the event names are a little close and are causing confusion we don't hold the copyright to it and Bryan and Karl aren't beholden to anyone to not use a specific name for any reason. We dropped Comic Con from our title as it created connotations with being associated with Comic Con International, the company that run the San Diego event and others each year and that was not the case.

We wish them all the best with their show and if I was in the country during it I'd attend it, but ours is a different event and is a Comic Book Convention focused on Comic Books, their creators, publishers and the associated media around them, We're not into the same things and our shows have very different goals as evident by our list of guests. We don't have anyone specializing in props or visual effects. Purely Comic Book creators and are lucky that we have the support of both Marvel and DC.

Unfortunately, some people, Comic professionals included haven't had that distinction made clear to them and I'd like this to clarify the situation.

The only people able to invite guests to D.I.C.E. are John Hendrick or Bruno Batista. D.I.C.E. will be held 27th-29th of September. It is the second event held with this name and is run exclusively by us at The Big Bang Comic Book Store.

Lastly, it's great to see so many events held this year and shows just how keen the pubic is to get involved with what some of are lucky enough to do as a profession. We wish anyone brave enough to put their neck out there and organize an event the best of luck.

Cheers and see you in store,

John.

Thirdly, the reason today was chosen to say this was after a conversation with a writer who's publisher was convinced D.I.C.E. was the 10th and 11th of August we felt that that we had best do it as soon as, that was today as I was in work.

Fourthly, I have emails from a Dublin Comic Con guest informing me he thought he was coming to my show, I have had conversations with people in store, on line and in person regarding this, I have had fans and pros come up to me at london Super Con about this.

I wish Karl and his show nothing but the best, but in relation to my show and ut's brand we released the ststement above, I didn't think A) it would cause offence and B) would clarify things.

karl was annoyed I didn't run it by him and would have preferred a joint ststement, I wouldn't have, that's just one disagreement. But it's a small one.

As I said, I wish the Dublin Comic Con the best.

Cheers,

John.

This is the first we have heard about one of our guests contacting you by mistake (you never mentioned that point or your other point in our private conversation all day but decide to bring it out in public thread instead). If you google Dublin Comic Con it brings you to our website so how can there be any misunderstanding.

As far as we are concerned, we are not doing back and forth anymore with this. We have tried our best to be polite and we have no secrets to hide but we are done with this thread and if you have any questions, want to offer a suggestion or want to know more then email us or go to our Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

251256_anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

kwalsh000 wrote: »
    we are done with this thread and if you have any questions, want to offer a suggestion or want to know more then email us or go to our Facebook.

So you are not interested in engaging with member of this site or the communities here after starting the thread?

Seriously that sounds like you just posted this as spam/advertisement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TheBigBang

Wait a minute, you asked me to post here so don't go "we're not going back and forth".

You have been very polite. I've not said anything but the contrary.

Effectively, what you've done here is gone wait a minute, that thing he says has been happening, that I've said hasn't been happening, has ACTUALLY been happening.

So screw this I'm off.

Karl best of luck with the show dude, as I've said before and in my statement I admire anyone willing to put their neck out and put on a show.

Kyle, sorry for hogging the Comic Forum with this hoo ha.

And folks remember, D.I.C.E. will be on the 27th,28th and 29th of September 2013. updates here https://www.facebook.com/TheBigBangIE :)

Cheers folks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I was considering going to both, not any more, I understand this isn't overly constructive, but some people keep getting too arsey with everyone and seem to want to be all defensive even when people are being nice i.e. saying their actions are laudable.

Advertisement