Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Saturn Advice.

Options
  • 30-03-2013 7:08pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

So I've decided to hold onto my white Sega Saturn for the time being. I've probably only used it twice in the years I've had it, mintier than a packet of Polo's, but I'd like to try out the vert shmups available for it. Only have Radiant Silvergun which isn't really my cup of tea and it's hori. :o

I just have a few questions about getting an RGB cable and mod chip for it.

RGB cable - does this one on eBay seem like a decent one? Says it will work for Jap consoles too.

Mod chip - according to the bottom of this page I seem to have a Model 2 32 pin IC version. Here's a few snaps of it outside and in:

pvDSKXD.jpg

3Ge0w4h.jpg

dVFYCqZ.jpg

Agd6rV2.jpg

Would I be correct in saying this is the correct SSIC8B chip to get? Anyone bought from racketboy before or is there a better, closer to home place to get them? Consolegoods.co.uk says he can't sell them by Paypal anymore.

EnterNow or anyone else - have you done the mod chip install before, reckon it's fairly painless for a soldering junkie? Seems with the Jap model you have to solder the signal wire to pin 14 rather than use the A+B method - link.

One last question about the Action Replay 4M Plus cart - on the assumption I'm only going to play Jap region shmups - there's no point getting this cart? Or am I wrong in that?

Any advice is much appreciated folks, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yep thats the 32 pin chip, makes it easier to solder as the chips with 64 pins have pretty small legs.

Retr0 ordered the chip from Racketboy & I installed it for him, I've done good few Saturn chip installations yeah. I prefer to solder everything, others use other methods like wrapping wire around the 5v pin etc but that method wouldn't be my cup of tea. Consolegoods might still sell them, but it'd be a private off site sale due to Paypal restrictions afaik. But again, I think the Racketboy chips are the best ones around

The cart is still worth getting as it'll give you the extra 4MB Ram that some games need, not essential but depending on what games it might be needed.

Edit - I never use the A+B method, I always solder the signal wire to the chip. Its an easy enough install, just be careful when soldering to the drive chip. If your up my way drop in & I'll do it if you want

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yep thats the 32 pin chip, makes it easier to solder as the chips with 64 pins have pretty small legs.

Retr0 ordered the chip from Racketboy & I installed it for him, I've done good few Saturn chip installations yeah. I prefer to solder everything, others use other methods like wrapping wire around the 5v pin etc but that method wouldn't be my cup of tea. Consolegoods might still sell them, but it'd be a private off site sale due to Paypal restrictions afaik. But again, I think the Racketboy chips are the best ones around

The cart is still worth getting as it'll give you the extra 4MB Ram that some games need, not essential but depending on what games it might be needed.

Edit - I never use the A+B method, I always solder the signal wire to the chip. Its an easy enough install, just be careful when soldering to the drive chip. If your up my way drop in & I'll do it if you want

Cheers man! Will get that cable and mod chip so. Actually do you know if the chip came with the ribbon cable as well or had to be bought separate? Doesn't explicitly mention it on that site, might email him.

/Edit: Might have confused myself there, is a second ribbon cable needed at all with that particular chip? Or just the one already present in the Saturn? Yep, not needed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The chip itself fits into where the ribbon cable normally goes on the mainboard, & then the ribbon cable plugs into the modchip so it acts like a passthrough...modifying the signal from the cd drive as required :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 zoolanderdan

Aint seen one of these in years. Its vintage now bro :)

Advertisement