Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skywatcher Skyliner 200p

Options
  • 30-03-2013 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi everyone, i bought this as my first telescope recently and im just getting around to using it. I have a question i was hoping someone could answer here. in the instruction manual this first thing it says to do is to align the finderscope. when i try to do this, the object im pointing at is upside down. whats the story with that, is it supposed to be upside down?

also if anyone else has this scope any tips for a beginner would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

The image is upside down because to correct the image would require some extra lenses and as a result, a slight drop in image quality. Since you'll be looking at stars, galaxies etc. there is no need to upright the image.

Here's a cloudynights link:http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1058
    FINDERSCOPE ALIGNMENT Next, the finder(s) must be aligned. Without proper finder alignment it'll be very difficult to find objects in the main telescope.† In the photos above, the telescope is equipped with both a red dot, unity finder (RDF) and a magnifying finderscope. It's more usual to have only one or the other, and the magnifying finderscope is the one more commonly found on telescopes of this type. The procedure is the same either way - adjustment screws are provided to permit the unit to be aligned with the main telescope. The easy way, if it's not yet dark, is to find a terrestrial target at least 100 yards away and, with the longest focal length eyepiece available inserted into the focuser, to point the telescope toward the object while looking into the eyepiece. It should be easy enough to find the object that way. Then adjust the focuser for the sharpest image and carefully move the telescope until the image is in the center of the field. Without moving the main telescope, now look through the finderscope. If it's close to alignment the object will be visible but not centered. Using the setscrews on the finderscope mount, adjust it until the same object is centered (though much smaller) in that field of view. If it's dark, I suggest using Polaris instead. Polaris is frequently chosen because it is nearly stationary and thus won't move while you are trying to adjust the finder.

Hopefully that will get the ball rolling!

Clear Skies!

Advertisement