Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sun holiday with cranky 6 month old!!

Options
  • 30-03-2013 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

We will be taking on 6 month old on a sun holiday in May.
    She can be very cranky at times so not looking forward to the plane trip!
    Any suggestions as to a good resort?
    We're thinking costa del sol/algarve, definately no futher away.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I gave our fella as bottle as we were taking off and landing as it helped the ear pressure and his ears didn't seen to pop.

I have to say though, it's hard enough to have a cranky baby when at home but worse by a million when you are in a foreign land and in smaller accommodation.

We waited til 11 months to bring ours and even at that he got sick and it was terrible. Just a thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

CaraMay wrote: »
    I gave our fella as bottle as we were taking off and landing as it helped the ear pressure and his ears didn't seen to pop.

I have to say though, it's hard enough to have a cranky baby when at home but worse by a million when you are in a foreign land and in smaller accommodation.

We waited til 11 months to bring ours and even at that he got sick and it was terrible. Just a thought

All sounds a bit defeatist. Our 13 month old has been to visit here grandparents in the USA and been to the continent a couple of times so far. Some parts of trips have been challenging but if you stay relaxed and roll with it a bit they will do. No point in never taking them out as they won't learn how to be relaxed about things!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

drquirky wrote: »
    All sounds a bit defeatist. Our 13 month old has been to visit here grandparents in the USA and been to the continent a couple of times so far. Some parts of trips have been challenging but if you stay relaxed and roll with it a bit they will do. No point in never taking them out as they won't learn how to be relaxed about things!

Well we had to come home early from the Middle East so I was defeated and the thing is he is not a cranky baby... So would I bring a cranky baby on holiday? No and the op needs to know all sides.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Google Dozol :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Ballyman wrote: »
    Google Dozol :)

Dozol and Teedex would be ideal but unfortunately they're not recommended for children under 2.

Try to keep your baby awake for as long as possible before the flight.. keep her well amused in the airport and hopefully she will nod off on board.

Praia da Rocha is a great family spot. Lots of young families there when we were over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

We just came back from a family visit on the continent with our 5.5 months old and to my greatest surprise, there were no problems on the plane at all (was quite a long flight though! c 3hs). He was in a carrier at the airport and he couldn't get enough of the lights, new faces etc. Was bf-ing him during take off and landing, and he slept a good bit, too.

re sun holiday: we are going in June to Nice, so when he will be 8 months. We will be taking an apartment, we thought it's easier than a hotel through this site: http://www.homeaway.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Check out The Sunset Beach Club in Benalmadena Costa Del Sol. Excellent spot for families. Apartments are lovely, spotless and have air conditioning which may be necessary at that time of year with a small child. They are owned by FBD Insurance. The apartments have a really well kitted out kitchen area with hob, oven and microwave with all the cooking utensils that could be required so if you have to eat in if baby is fussing and you don't fancy a visit to a restaurant you have that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We are going on holiday in September, my friends baby is coming and she will be 7 months by then. Just wondering how people went about sterilising the bottles while away?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

go to any supermarket and buy one of those basins that go into the kitchen sink - about 2 euro, then use milton tablets to sterilise.

Boil the water first though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No need to bring a basin, get yourself some steriliser bags. They come with a tablet, you fill with water and you can leave the kids stuff in it hanging from say the shower for 24 hours. I think we used to get ours from Boots,
    http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Disposable-Steriliser-Bags-7Pack_25755/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

First of all, pick a resort that you want to go to, the six month old wont really care so much :)

When they are that young, the heat will tend to send them off to sleep that bit more, bring a few little plastic toys with you for the pool area, when ours were that young, after a couple of hours in the water in the morning I used to lob them into the buggy and go for a walk and they would sleep, used to set them up for the afternoon

I wouldn't stress too much about it, we used to take it in shifts, I'd do morning with kids, missus do the afternoon, swop around the next day, share the duties in the evening, that way you both get a break

Advertisement